Algae problem....pls help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry guys. I was drunk all weekend.. And had no service where I was.. Mrs wages with 2-3 tablespoons in one gallon of ro. After it settles in ten minutes.. dripping the gallon should raise ph to 8,3 8.4.. Baking soda will raise you alk. And ph.. But ph will drop back down shortly.. If your alk is at 7-8. Try a tbl spoon of baking soda in 3-4 cups of water slowly added to sump.

Sorry guys. I was drunk all weekend.. And had no service where I was.. Mrs wages with 2-3 tablespoons in one gallon of ro. After it settles in ten minutes.. dripping the gallon should raise ph to 8,3 8.4.. Baking soda will raise you alk. And ph.. But ph will drop back down shortly.. If your alk is at 7-8. Try a tbl spoon of baking soda in 3-4 cups of water slowly added to sump.

I don't have sump, but I have some "Seachem Marine Buffer" and can do a drip system with airline tubing. I don't want to raise KH, as I already like my KH. What is the optimal KH value ? Mine is average 8.4dKH°.

8 to 10. I keep mine at 10. And ph at 8.3. I'm not sure exactly how or how much. But ph and alk work with each other. If you mess with one. You will have to adjust the other. Along with calc and mag.

If your ph is staying at one level. Try a slightly stronger dose of pickling lime. And while your raising your ph. Don't forget to suck out as much as you can. Filtered thru a towel

My dinos problem seems to be REALLY less, since I dose 1L limewater/day. I started there's 3 days. My third bottle is now dripping on my 20g, that seems to do a GREAT difference.

I also dose my 1ml of vodka straight AFTER the light turn off (I heard dinos can get an advantage of eating vodka during day). My skimmer make a great gunk foam, and I'm now doing wet skimming. It seems to work... I also changed my GAC, and replaced the filter pad with filter polywool. This seems to work well...

My PH after dosing 1L of limewater is a 8.4, but will come down at 7.9 next morning... That seems to work...

Limewater don't seems to alter my Mg, Ca and Alk. Maybe it raise a bit Ca and Alk, but I don't see difference when testing. And I'm still dosing myself with the vodka.

Keep it up! And save some for the fish!! Lol I've never dosed vodka in an aquarium .. That seems like a party foul to me.. Haha

With a great skimmer, following a good dosing chart, it will remove PO4 ans NO3 from the water column...

I have a 50g-90g HOB skimmer for my 20g reef...

Some dose sugar, vinegar, Vitamin C, etc... Me it's vodka, as it seems to be the purest source of carbon for reefs.

(according to http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/)

When I battled dynos. I turned my skimmer off. If I turned it back on.. They went nuts and grew like crazy.. I think they thrive off oxygen

When I battled dynos. I turned my skimmer off. If I turned it back on.. They went nuts and grew like crazy.. I think they thrive off oxygen

you sure ? I more think they like CO2 or Carbon source during the day, so they can photosynhetise like plants or algae...

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I raised my ph. I shut my skimmer off for a few days and they seemed to slow down.. I turn it back on and the next morning they were growing longer. So I kept it off.

Before I raised my ph. I shut my skimmer off for a few days and they seemed to slow down.. I turn it back on and the next morning they were growing longer. So I kept it off.

Kk, but I won't turn the skimmer Off, as I'm trying to starve them with night vodka dosing... So I need the skimmer to wet skim the most as possible...

So your wanting to keep your dynos? I'm confused now. Haha dynos that I had still grew at night.. No lights at night and my dynos still grew

****, they still grow without lights ? I didn't know that :eek:

In my case they seems to grow on the sand and rocks only when the lights are on the peek power... The sand usually become brown/orange during day... But doesn't come brown during night...

Anyways, daily kalk dosing seems to make my sand much cleaner than usually... I'll just keep this like this, and wait to see what happen. I keep an eye on fishs, and params.

Now, the PH is at 8.5

My final option would be to stop vodka dosing, turn skimmer off, dose 1-2L of limewater, during a 3 days blackout... I hate this when I can't see my tank :(

In my case, that's only a small dino problem... There's few spots on rocks and sand... I would show you a picture of the setup, and you won't see any dinos....

Mine did.. I see on the net that people shut off there lights.. But I tried that.. 3 day lights out and yes mine started to go away.. But the second I turned them back on. They grew just as fast.. The thread I found worked.. Raise ph to 8.5. Suck them out. Stop water changes. And I added slight h202 dosing and shut skimmer off.. Fought them for 6 months.. Did this method for 2 weeks and it was all gone

Mine did.. I see on the net that people shut off there lights.. But I tried that.. 3 day lights out and yes mine started to go away.. But the second I turned them back on. They grew just as fast.. The thread I found worked.. Raise ph to 8.5. Suck them out. Stop water changes. And I added slight h202 dosing and shut skimmer off.. Fought them for 6 months.. Did this method for 2 weeks and it was all gone

How much H2O2 ? Can it be combined with kalk ? I have 20 volume H2O2 (6%)

I'll stop dosing vodka today.

Add it separate .. I think 3% is one ml per 10 gallons .. Let me check quick

Back
Top Bottom