I have a 50 gal SW
tank with 1 Pelewensis Butterfly, 1 chocolate chip star fish, 1 Maroon Clown Fish, and 1 Tiger-striped Fancy Serpent Sea Star. I also had 1 yellowheaded jawfish who just died, but will be replaced ASAP
Here's my problem. I have bought over 3 dozen turbo snails over the past four months.
My water parameters are acceptable with ammonia at 0, nitrites at 0, nitrates at about 40, pH at about 8.0-8.2 and salinity at about 1.025.
Within days of adding the turbo snails, they are either eaten by my chocolate chip star fish, picked at by my Pelewensis Butterfly, or just die on their own.
I also have a few Scarlet Hermit Crabs and Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs.
The algae buildup is incredible and the tank looks terrible. All my coral (not live) and rock (rainbow and zebra) are covered in brown-green algae. Is there anything I can do to control the algae growth without hurting my fish or invertebrates?
I received a suggestion of keeping the lights off most of the time, but then my yellowheaded jawfish died and I was advised that the lack of light might have attributed to her demise.
Is there anything (baking soda or some other non-toxic substance) that I can soak my decorations in that will remove the algae buildup?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
34g hex acrylic FW
- 2 blueberry tetra, 2 strawberry tetra, 1 tiger barb, 2 clown loaches, 2 angel fish and 1 Chinese Algae Eater
50g SeaClear SW
- 1 Pelewensis Butterfly, 1 Maroon Clown Fish, 1 Chocolate Chip Starfish and 1 Tiger-striped Fancy Serpent Sea Star
30g tall acrylic FW
- 2 Angelfish, 1 Mono Argentus, 2 Chinese Algae Eaters, 1 clown loach & 1 Columbian Shark