Algae Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DegsWorld

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK, so I am running a 14g BioCube, and I have been fighting an ongoing battle with green hair algae. I put my lights on timers to only run about 5 hours a day, also doing 15-20% water changes weekly, but occasionally I skip a week. I have 2 clown fish, 2 cleaner shrimp, about 6 hermit crabs, about 4 turbo snails and 1 emerald crab and 1 small frogspawn. I have about 15lbs of live rock, most of it Fiji, I did remove the filter cartridge for the BioCube protein skimmer. I need an experts advice on how to keep the algae away. It got so bad at one point I had to do the unthinkable and pull all my rock out and pick and scrub the algae off, then cleaned the tank of all remaining algae. I am not over feeding cause I only feed once a day and all food is gone in about 2 minutes, or less. Do I need more snails or crabs? Please help, thank you.

Attachments

• image-694979716.jpg
    image-694979716.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 93
Just wanted to give every bit of info I can, don't think it has anything to do with it but my cleaner shrimp are having babies about every other week for the past couple months too.

How much\what are you feeding your tank everyday? I'd cut back on the feedings personally. I feed mine every 3 days or so and all fish are plump and happy.

I feed frozen foods, mostly brine shrimp but have some marine cuisines and other misc frozen cubes. I feed about half a cube each day. I have read about people feeding smaller portions twice a day but never once every three days. I am afraid they might die.

Half a cube every day seems a lot just for two clowns. I'd really suggest cutting back on the feeding. The algae is getting nutrients from somewhere....

Are you rinsing the shrimp first? The juices in it is a huge ammo source and you should cut back to feeding once every 2 days at most.. I feed every 3-4 days and all my fish are happy and growing nicely

I will try that, what is the best way to rinse the frozen food? I usually thaw it in a little bit of tank water then dump it all back in the tank? Would it hurt the frogspawn if I cut off the light for full week?

Instead of dumping it back into the tank strain it with your net then put it in the tank and a full week may kill it but I may be wrong you'd need another opinion on that one

Don't cut the light back any further...your coral(s) will suffer too much. The plant nutrients are coming into your tank in this order of probability:

Feeding too much, most probable cause. Cut back on feeding rather than light.
Using city water for makeup water, it can be loaded with nutrients, use RO/DI and good quality salt mix.
Not enough filtration, a protein skimmer will help reduce nutrient loads and excess fish food.

Algae eaters only reprocess the nutrients and algae continues to grow. Good for some fish, but you know the downsides.
Keep up the water changes, especially after cleaning the tank.

There is no healthy reef in the world that is algae free. It is part of the whole process, but you want to strive to strike a balance with it.

Last edited:
I have been using premixed salt water that I buy from my fish store. My protein skimmer is still full everyday, which I guess is a good thing. I will start feeding every other day and run my lights for 5 hours a day. Thanks everybody.

Back
Top Bottom