algae problems have pics need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an algae and im not sure what kind it is, im hoping to find something that will eat it. Its green heres some pics: Will hermits eat this stuff?

You can e-mail them to me and I can do it for you if you like... steve-s @aquariumadvice.com (no space though)

Cheers
Steve

gooyferret said:
I think its a green hair algae possibly but not sure
You can be sure....

Hermits will help with it but the greatest benefit will be from manual removal and reduced nutrient.

Cheers
Steve

How would i attempt to maual remove it? Its on the rocks and stuff i tried scrubbing it off with a brush dont work though?

gooyferret said:
i tried scrubbing it off with a brush dont work though?
What kind of brush? Hair algae is quite flimsy and should come off easily. If it does not, then it might actually be turf algae. Judging by the pic though, it does look like hair....

Cheers
Steve

gooyferret said:
What kind of brush do you recommend?
A toothbrush. The bristles are fine enough that the algae gets trapped in them and can be removed instead of spreading the algae further... You will need to rinse the brush several times during the process. Remember, the nutrient is not removed unless the algae is as well. If you simpley scrub the rock without removing the algae, the nutrient remains.

Cheers
Steve

I had a huge hair algae problem ..... the best tool was my fingers...I plucked and plucked.

:lol: I would be doing ALOT of plucking! thats for sure. Well what i did was scrub the rock a little then i did a 10% water change i hope that clears up the problem cant hurt any i guess :)

Back
Top Bottom