Algae takeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbtrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have anew tank that has 80 pounds of lie rock in a 75 gallon tank. I've added 3 damsels and all looks good for adding more fish . The algae has gone crazy in my tank on the glass and all over the rock. I scraped it off once but now its on the bottom of the tank from the glass. Do I need to remove it some how? How do I stop this take over. The 2 snails stay on the live rock not on the glass. How do I stop this. Its green fly away algai and red has now started growing. Its long and wavy kind of pretty.

I would check phosphates as that tends to promote those types of algae... Are you overfeeding? Are you using RO water or tap? These things can all cause higher phosphates... A protein skimmer may help. Also get more snails and some red legged hermit crabs could help too....

Look up diatoms. Could be some of that in a new tank too. Red my be cyano which could be the phosphate/tap water problem.

Definitely need more snails and hermits.

I used RO water and have a protein skimmer. Do I try to clean it out by hand? How do you keep the glass clean if the snails and hermit crabs don't do enough. Can you have too many snails?

I had the same thing when my tank was new. Pretty normal. I use RO/DI water nad have no phosphates.

Add a few turbo snails and the glass will get cleaned very quickly. I added 12 in my 225 and also have some astrea's and nassarius and my tank stays pretty clean on its own.

Back
Top Bottom