Algae what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the21kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So......what does a poor schmuck like me do to get rid of the algae on the glass.....see my stock....can't do a clean up crew. The algae is a yellowish/brownish/greenish sort just on the glass..glass thermometer and some of the silk plant tops. I am assuming the my water quality along with the PC's causes it since it on top of the plants (closest to the lights). Assume my water conditions are fine...nitrates may be a touch over 10....any thoughts...."keep scraping" is an acceptable response...however would like to hear some other options.

I have a PH in the upper left corner and 2 outlets on my return (one at the bottom that pushes water along with back of the tank and another at the top that pushes water to the front of the glass). Pump is a mag 18 so I get enough flow

The reason is most likely in the parameters. What tests have you done to check? Check phosphates as well as the normal gamma of tests. A pic would be helpful to see what it is. Can it be diatoms? They are caused by silicates.

Post the parameters that you have checked and it may help to resolve the issue.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <20
Phsophate... .25 I think? Whatever the closest to 0 is without it being 0.
Salinity is 1.020
KH and GH are fine

I think that's it.....what if it is diatoms? What would I do there?

How old is your tank? Diatoms are commonly found in newer setups. If it is diatoms just be patient and they will burn themselves out after a short time. I used turbo snails but that wont help you much except as food for your guys.

see my stock....can't do a clean up crew.

Sure you can! What you need is Urchins:

p_79349.jpg

pw79297longspine_urchin2.jpg

pw79310pincushion_caribbean.jpg

:)

Set the tank up about 5 months ago........

No about those urchins....will everyone else be safe? When food goes in the tank "Bruce" goes a little nutty searching for it. Bumps the lion and foxface like they don't exist

Fish are not as dumb as we think sometimes :) A fish would smarten up to the Urchin really quick.

So my local advice guy said the urchin would become lunch for my shark....agree? disagree? agree to disagree?"

Is you tank near a window?

When I had my tank next to a window the same thing happened from the sunlight hitting on it so I moved it, and everything has meen going good ever since!

you could always just get a magnet cleaner, just a few strokes across the glass and its clean!

Back
Top Bottom