algea in sand issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey!

alrighty, i have a ton of nasty green and red algea taking over my sand. any ideas how to stop this? more snails? shorter days? turn the sand over a bit? massive water change?

-Matt

Some of that is probably unavoidable in a sand bed. Your suggestions are all good. There are some snails that do a good job because they eat algae and also bury themselves in the sand....I can't remember what they are called, however.

Hey Matt...I am sure you know what to do. Vac it off, water changes and test for PO4. Keep us posted...Lando

try getting some nassurius snails they dig under the sand...also maybe a sand sifting star...i have added both after a similar experience and have had whit sand ever since.....

doug

i have 5 nassurius snails in there now. I will probibly add a dozen more...

I have shortened the days and that seems to stop the growth. I was gone for the holidays, but now that I am back I can do a serious water change.

no way to test for PO4 yet (no one in my area carries a testing kit.)

Do I really want to vaccum up the sand?

I've had the same issue in a nano tank. I ordered chemi-clean - seems to be working.

JG

I am not a fan of adding anything to my reef, but I used Chemi=clean as a last resort for my cyno. It worked great! Wish I would have done it sooner. Still very important to get to the root of the problem to resolve it completely.

Is this chemi-clean safe for inverts like corals and anenomes? Where can I purchase this?

I have red algae on my rocks in various places, in patches on the fine sand bed and also purple algae on my fine sand bed.

I think I identified the problem to be a home-made plastic mesh to cover my outgoing hose for my filter (since an anenome died after getting stuck on it). I used to get within a day almost the entire sand bed covered in a deep purple algae which I could pick up in large pieces (it broke away if I wasn't gentle). After removing the home-made plastic mesh the algae is probably 85% gone so all I do now is just shift the sand around. I think this has let pieces of the algae go around the tank and it's growing from there still.

I hope that chemi-clean will fix the problem. I purchased this red algae removing solution but I didn't read the label fully before purchase as it was not safe with corals.

Refer to my signature for what I have in my tank. Chemi-clean sounds the best for this problem. Am I correct?

I hate the idea of adding a chemical like that though.

I am going to try the large water change and snail trick first.

I hate the idea of adding a chemical like that though.
I felt the same way...it took about two weeks of nothing happening and Lando :mrgreen: , to convinced me to use it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=38937&highlight=cyano

I used it get a "head start" on the cyano..did a big water change and got an orange spotted goby for the sand(sand stays white all the time now) and thursday will buy snails for LR and glass HTH

Ive got an orange spotted goby, but any sandsifting goby should work. I also have a sandsifting starfish but the goby covers allot more area...the only negative with the goby is that it might move sand where you might not want at.

Yep, the goby made my live rock unstable by building himself a litle cave. I just need to stay ahead of him.
Do I have to feed that litle fellow with something special or are the left overs good enough? (brine shrimp and pellets).

Rocket...I generally subscribe to the same "don't add any chemicals to the tank" philosophy as you. I was at wits ends with my cyno problem. I figured out it was a PO4 issue with my source water. I changed the filters and membraine in my RO/DI unit and the PO4 issue was solved. I tried to manage my cycno with water changes after that but it never seemed to go away. As a last resort, I tried Chemi-Clean (suggested by my LFS) and it worked great! Within 48 hours no more cycno. I did start to have another small outbreak about a week later so I dosed it again. I have not seen a bit of cyno for weeks now. As I mentioned earlier, Chemi-Clean is only a band-aid, not a cure. It is still important to find the source of your problem in order to correct it long-term. Certainly try water changes and see if that works first. If, after a couple of weeks, you see no progress take the next step. Good luck in the battle...Lando

Regarding those gobies... I have been told by several LFS that it's very difficult to keep these as they need a lot of food, and if the sand doesn't have it they just die off.

I was particularly interested in the golden head gobies.

Is this true?

Back
Top Bottom