Algea problems in reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been having problems with green algea on my glass. I have been scraping it off everyday my lighting is at 8 hours and I use RoDi water. I also just got a new HOB refugium and its covered in red slime algea.

Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrates-5.0
Nitrite-0
Calcium- 360
PH- 8.0

That's all I test right now.

Tank size, age, livestock, filtration?

You need to test for phosphates.

29 gallon. 1 HOB filter with sponges and carbon an HOB Refugium with LR and chaeto. A sera marine ps130 protiene skimmer.

Livestock- Bicolor angel, maroon clown, dragon goby.

I also have 32 lbs of LR

How long has the tank been running? How often do you clean the sponges in the filter? What do you feed your fish? How much and how often? Water changes? The red slime in the refuge is likely Cyanobacteria.

It's been running since a week before Christmas. I feed a little bit daily and I feed pelets and dry brine shrimp. I do water changes weekly with RoDi water.

You may need to do more frequent or larger volume water changes. Make sure to clean the sponges in the hob filter. Also check the bottom of the filter container and see if there is any detritus buildup which can occur. If so clean that as well during water changes. The algae on the glass is hair like or just kind of dusty?

Is it hard or soft? If hard then it is probably just a variety of Coraline algae and not that big of a deal but more of just an aesthetic issue.

Yes I had to use a scrub brush but it was still hard to get it off. I have a lot of coraline starting to grow. The other stuff is green tho.

You could put in a dose of algae fix.. I had cyano and green all over.. Dosed one time and in 3 days it was all gone.

If it is Coraline algae it won't die off. You'll just need to keep scraping it off the glass as you get tired of seeing it.

I have the purple coraline that I like and want to keep. Will that take the green stuff over?

It can. But at the same time green can cover purple. I'm not sure what causes one to grow more than the other. I have more green in the front of my tank and more purple in the back and sides.

Back
Top Bottom