alkalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need to test for this in a FOWLR unless your looking to get the coralline algae to grow. Then it would be the same as a reef, cal 400-450 and alk 9-11.
I would keep them on the lower end for the fish.

I actually an alk test as a good indicator of the need for a water change. A proper alk reading is critical to maintaining a stable pH. Test for alk & Nitrate weekly & you will make your job keeping fish a lot easier!

Indicator for a water change???? This is a new one to me. I only check nitrates on my fowlr and had no problems in over a year. When my nitrates get up around 20 then I do a water change, unless its been a few months then I just do a water change.

Can you explain how Alk is a good indicator for a water change? I've never heard that before, so I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.

I am very new to all this but this is what they do. LFS, a very reputable one says they have not checked for Ph in years. Only the Alk test. Something to due with "Buffer" I cant remember exactly ??

I think if you have low alk your PH would likely be low, If you add an alk buff it will increase the ph

That is at least what I understand (could be wrong)

right now I am debating on doing a buff to my tank my ph is a bit low and so is my alk, I have read that regular water changes will also equilize PH.

Back
Top Bottom