alkalinity test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay I bought a alk. test and it says to drop one drop in until it turns a yellow green. the first time I did it it took 12 drops = to 6.0 meg/L. the 2nd time it only took 10= 5.0 meg/ L. Am I doing this right? and where should it be?
TIA

Are you mixing between drops?

Had you made any additions/PWCs between the two measurements?

Alk will drop over time, how far apart were these readings?

okay i added a little super buffer and then went to the store bought a alk.test and tested. tests where done like 2 minutes apart didnt add anything or didnt do a pwc. tested again today and it took 10 drops to change. about three days ago I added a little liquid cal to get my calcium back up. I cant get my ph up so I added the super buffer. and 24 hours later it is back down. but alk. and cal. still the same. oh and yes I am mixing btween drops. 10 drops = 5.0 meg/L is that too high?

I use IO salt well water and LS. I tested the water with both tests master test and water test from home depot when I first set up my tank. I dont have anything in my water. My well is tapped into a natural spring.

What is the hardness and pH of your well water?

You may want to consider an RO unit if your well pump produces enough pressure to run one.

Does new saltwater made from your well water have the correct pH/alk?

Can you add some CC for help? Not too much, maybe about 5-15LBs....

I will test it real quick and let you know. Will CC help? Also I just posted a responce to my other thread I think I may have found the problem. It is me of coarse maybe colorblind. LOL.

Code:
It is me of coarse maybe colorblind. LOL.[quote]

Don't worry, I have problems reading my pH test....

I couldn't ever trust my teenage son to read the test.....he really is colorblind. He sees vibrant colors but everything is different to him. For instance blue looks bright purple and red looks orange and green looks blue. But then again who really knows? How can we ever know what we see is correct? He's learned to compensate. Even though something red looks orange to him he'll tell you it's red.

I would really like to see these tests come with a different contrast of colors other than diiferent shades of the smae color. Tell your son I too have learned to compensate. Thank You Everyone for all your Help I greatly Appreciate it.
Thanx

Back
Top Bottom