all 90 galloners please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 90 gallon soon-to-be-reef tank that is about a week away from being flush mounted into my wall.

i was at the lfs and he was selling everything at cost. he told me that two emperor 280's would do a good job for a 90 gal tank with the addition of a powerhead for more circulation. i asked him about wet/dry sump system and he said they are more trouble than they are worth, and that the hob filters have gotten much better in the last few years. does anyone with a 90 use hob? please let me know.

would 330 total watts (2 x 110w 03 + 2 x 55w cf) be enough to keep the hardier type corals? i can buy a total setup with ballast and bulbs for 300.00cnd out the door. i've read mixed reviews on mh and don't want the hassle if possible.

please tell me your successes/failures, i really want to do it right the first time.

thanks in advance

I'm telling you a sump is the way to go. I'm surpised your LFS said what he did.
You can put your heater, skimmer, pumps etc in it and have much less clutter in your main. All you would need (other than the sump itself) is an overflow with a return pump system.
Here is a article explaining the basics of a sump system.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=12
Get some more opinions, but I think you will find its the way to go.

For a tank this size, I would suggest some type of a sump, or even converting a wet/dry into the berlin method (no bioballs and replaced by reef rubble). I don't think the HOB 280's will do the job for you with this size. I would also definitely get at least 3 powerheads for better filtration (Maxijet 1200's if available). With your current lighting, you can keep a pretty nice selection of some nice soft corals and mushrooms, etc., but MH is the best way to go for hard corals though IMO.

Mike

thanks for the replies,

quarry, i don't doubt what you said in the other post, just trying to get a wide range experiences. please don't be offended!

what is the difference between a wet/dry system and a sump. what would be a sufficient tank size for the sump system?

katz

I bought a 125 gallon wet/dry and just ripped the bio balls out to replace it with reef rubble (Berlin method). This gave me room for equipment, and additional water volume. This system also came with an overflow unit and pump as well. I went with the wet/dry because it was cheaper than buying a sump and all the extra parts. I don't have time to make one, so it was the best route for me. It also helped that the pump and overflow were matched up to prevent running dry, or overflowing the tank.
If you go with a wet/dry unit for your 90G, I would at least go with a 125G or larger for excellent filtration. HTH

Mike

quarry, i don't doubt what you said in the other post, just trying to get a wide range experiences. please don't be offended!
I didn't take it that way :) . Was just surprised at your LFS's reaction. 8O
If you want flexability, a 55 gallon would be nice, but you could go smaller if you had too.
Here is an example of a wet/dry, this is a 30 gallon and there a no bioballs to remove. :wink:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=PM-CL30&Category_Code=CprSump
Also here is a so so pick of my 55 gallon wet/dry, I removed the bioballs and have plans to turn the left (empy section) into a refugium. I just need to modify the inflow a bit and add a divider.

I would also put my plug in for the sump. I do not think 2 emeror 280s is near enough filtration for your tank. A "wet/dry" is nothing more then a filter that combines wet and dry. For example, the biowheels on your 280's are a wet/dry filter. they provide a place exposed to air for aerobic bacteria to grow but also remain damp for anaerobic bacteria. This type of bacteria (aerobic) does a good job of converting nitrite to nitrate but not a very good job of removing nitrate. This is why most people do not recommend wet/dry systems for SW. A sump is simply an in-line smaller tank that works with your larger tank. It adds water volume to the systen and, as mention, gives a nice hiding place for unsightly equipment. Now, a sump can also have a wet/dry filtration built into it. Hope this makes a bit of sense.

i guess i just have information overload!!!! i will definitely go the sump route. now where the heck do i begin? do i need to drill holes in my tank?
i have a 35g sw right now that can be converted for the sump. i also have a 10g qt that would be easier to let go of but like i said, i want to do this right the first time! please let me know. i work for an employee owned industrial/plumbing distributor so what kind of pump do i need. looks like everyone is using schd 40 white pvc in a lot of cases to run plumbing. is there a site with a sump layout?

katz

I would definitely recommend a sump. It gives you more space up in the tank and acts kind of like a control room. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 100 or 150 gallon tank and a sump is on my list of must-haves. This doesn't mean you can't work without one but its definitely a worthwhile piece of equipment.

You do not need to drill your tank, although you can if it is not tempered glass. If it is tempered, it will shatter when you drill it. Lots of people use external over-flow boxes that hang on the back of the tank.

You can use "hang on back" overflow box similar to the one pictured here to get the water to your sump . For return, you simply get a return pump and plump a simple system back.
This was a makeshift sump I used to extra volume to an overloaded qt tank. Ignore the garbage can, your would use a wet/dry or another tank for your sump. I show the pic, just to illustrate the overflow box.

thanks for the advice and helpful pictures. how exactly does the overflow system work? what is better, bioballs or bubbles? what is a refugium and do i need one? what is the minimum tank size needed for my sump??
thanks in advance.

katz

p.s. the 35 gal is running great so far. i only have one false perc, a purple tipped anemone, 5 hermits, 5 -1 = 4 snails (hermit got one), 1 blood shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 15#s lr, shrooms.

I was just looking to upgrade one of my setups. And the tanks had a sticker on the bottom pane that said "tempered"

Back
Top Bottom