ALL ABOUT SKIMMERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30_gallon_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
this post is dedicated to skimmers, anything and everything. but mainly about which skimmers are best what poeple thought about the cheap ones ect.
im curently looking for a skimmer in a 35 gallon sw aquarium, so any advice is welcome, or an diy info is greatly appreciated as well.

I can give you a little advice. DO NOT get a Red Sea Berlin 60. It's an airstone powered skimmer that is a total pain in the butt. I got it working for a couple days and it did great, but for some reason it started freaking out and overskimming like crazy. I left it set up for about 2 weeks, adjusting and adjusting each day, hoping it would level off, but it never did.

Now I'm with a Red Sea Prizm. It's a good skimmer and pulls a lot of junk out of the tank. The one bad thing is it has a pretty loud motor. It doesn't bother me because of where the tank is located. Just something to consider. HTH

You could get by with cheap skimmers for a 35 gal tank. But, i think you will be more sastisfy with the performance of an AquaC Remora skimmer. It needs no adjustments.

I've got a pretty good one. It's made by Aquarium Systems. I'm not sure if its the Seaclone that they advertise on their site. It might be an older model than their current ones but it works very well. I put a Rio 600V (the V is for venturi) pump on it and I have to empty the cup like twice a week from all the green stuff that collects. The only problem with it is that it dumped lots of tiny bubbles into the tank but I rubberbanded a piece of floss there and now its fine.

Jimmy

i have a pryzm skimmer and i hate the dam thing it seems to work if im cleaning it all the time but not if i just leave it for a while
i seem to spend more time screwing with it than the fish

i have crabs said:
i have a pryzm skimmer and i hate the dam thing it seems to work if im cleaning it all the time but not if i just leave it for a while
i seem to spend more time screwing with it than the fish

I don't doubt it at all. Mine works great right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it petered out on me tomorrow. I'm hoping to get an Aqua C Remora soon, I've heard very good things about it.

I got fed up with my Prism and replaced it with a CPR bak-pak. on a 40gallon breeder. The aqua C remora is supposed to be a little better, but it's also about $80 more than what I can get a CPR for. The CPR was a major improvement for the $30 more it cost vs. a Prism (gotta shop ALL the online vendors to find the best prices/sales)

Not to jack the thread or anything but is there anything wrong with running my AquaC HOB Skimmer full blast.

I have the jebo 180 skimmer its my first skimmer so nothing to compare it to. It takes a cup worth of crap out of my tank a week so its not that bad in my book

what size is your tank? and whats in it? (how many fish, coral, inverts, ect)
is the stuff bein collected nasty or clean like brown guck?
im thinking about that skimmer, just untill i decide on somthing better.
can you tell me some details about it like pet-pievs ect
that would be great thanks

joemama16341 0X

malkore said:
The aqua C remora is supposed to be a little better, but it's also about $80 more than what I can get a CPR for.

3 questions: First, did you get the BakPak with the Rio or the Maxi Jet pump?

Second, About how loud is the BakPak?

And third, Where did you get such a sweet deal? :drool: Most of the BakPaks I have seen run $129 with the Remoras running $164

I'm using a Red Sea Prism Pro. Works very well but it makes a horrible noise if I turn the flow down and the customer service is rotten. So I'm now boycotting Red Sea because of their cust service.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a 3 inch deep sandbed, 8 small fish an a few inverts as well as one long tentical anemone. I don't have any coral right now but will be adding some in the next week or two. The only pet peeve I really had with it was at the beginning I had to leave the air valve completely open or it would overflow the cup in a few hours. There was also massive amounts of micro bubble for the first week for two but since then I don't see any bubble in my tank. Watch the pump is a little fragile where there vortex peice meets the pump I twisted mine too far when I was setting it up and broke one of the clips off. As long as I don't move it I am fine but if I do bubble start coming out between the vortex and the pump and you have to push them together. But I broke mine cause I twisted too hard so you shouldn't have to worry about it. Biggest thing is before you turn it on make sure you open the air valve up all the way they close it completely before its shipped. I had a massive waterfall in my kitchen when I first plugged it in. But thats what I get for not reading directions. Hope this helped

im building a custom skimmer with rio pump, i dont wnna pay those companies for something i can definately build on my own, thier quite simple. 0X

Back
Top Bottom