all actinic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if zooxanthalea (I'm sure I butchered that) recieve enough energy from actinic blue light or do they require full spectrum to be healthy.

It would depend on where the zooxanthellae came from. Corals from shallow waters will have more of a need for brighter whiter/yellower light that would approach natural daylight. Corals from deeper enviroments will have zooxanthellae that are more adapted to the blue side of the spectrum as the deeper you get the less yellow and white light is transmitted.

All zooxanthellae will adapt to whatever spectrum you give them, so choose for the best compromise of what looks good to you and gives the most intensity.

I am thinking about switching to all actinic because my full spec create a huge algae problem. All my water parameters are right where they should be. (I test for PO4,nitrite,nitrate,silicates,calcium,alk,PH,ammonia.) And I use RO water. I have my actinics (110 W.) on for 10 hrs a day and my full specs (130 W.) for 3 hrs, twice a day. I think that my corals would do better with 240 W. actinic all day. What are your thoughts please. Oh yes, this is a 55g reef, w/DSB.

Howard

Back
Top Bottom