All i want is something simple?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ctiger8116

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I am having problems with Nitrite 1.5 and Nitrates 20. Also my PH want really go over 8.0 Everything else is green. I have one mimic tang, royal gramma, 2 fire gobies, & Sand Sifter in a 36 gallon bow with 40lbs sand and about 25 rock. Two pumps MP10 Vortech and Tunze along with a fluval 206. I have a small torch coral two small zoathids and Small GSP. About 15 hermits and 12 snails with an emerald crab. All the live stock are doing there thing like nothing. The zoathids are picky the red ones stay open all the time but my greens cant decide. My torch doesnt seem to want to do anything but kind stayed mostly closed up. Not looking for fancy stuff just a simple soft and maybe a few lps coral tank. Should i just let it run and stop chasing the parameters? Heard PH is not the important as long as it is stable and other are good. Both my LFS are given me different opinions on things.

by reading the first line I can see the tank either was never cycled or wasn't cycled correctly. My biggest concern at the moment would be your stock there going to take this hit , it would be bests to find someone with a cycled system to keep your live stock for a short while . pet stores usually will do this .
once you do the above you can do a proper cycle . you will need a test kit a deli shrimp and some patients , this link will walk you through the cycle.

Search for "saltwater cycle" - Aquarium Advice

you could do a fish in cycle but it's hard on fish and inverts , and very time consuming and hands on for you constant water changes constant checking levels ect

How much rock is in the system? Just looking at a 36 bowfront, a tank which I previously ran as a salt setup, and a tang being in it will produce a ton of waste. These are big fish that consume a lot and also poop a lot. If there isn't enough room for the bacteria to colonize, you'll never get a head of the curve...and this is besides the usual 'tang police' statements.
I would suggest water changes to get the nitrites and nitrates down. You don't want any detectable ammonia or nitrite levels in the system as it is poisonous.

Back
Top Bottom