Always Low on Calcium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaketit

Aquarium Advice Freak
55 gallon with 20 gallon sump/refugium. Corals

Candy cane
Hammer
Frogspawn
Mushroom leather
A bunch of zoa frags
Alveopora

Acan

And some other randoms. Every time I get my water tested my calcium is at around 380. I do weekly or some times biweekly water changes with water from the lfs. I have been dosing calcium feels like forever but it rarely goes up. When it does it won't stay there long

First thing I would do is test your lfs waters calcium level to make sure you aren't starting low from the start. The corals you listed aren't really big calcium consumers like some sps.

Yes KH can be your culprit, but from my understanding Mg and Ca react with one another in your tank water, so your Mg levels may also directly affect the stability or fluctuation of your Ca in your water.

Well my coraline has been going ape on the glass lately. Lfs says that is probably sucking up a lot of the calcium. They said 380 is just alittle low. It is just weird because I always feel like my led lighting is fueling coraline but burning my coral.

Im having the same problem. What kind of salt are you using? Im using reef crystals and KH and calcium has been low..

I had that issue, I use the same salt. Reef crystals from instant ocean. I had to start dosing B-ionic 2 part every night at 8mL's. everything is very happy and growing well now.

I just recently changed salts
I used IO reef crystals always had issues with all my water parameters
so I tried Kent marine reef salt and I love it
not only did all my problems go away my corals doubled in size
and my Coraline growth kicked in

everything seems so much happier now
I also put 1 drop iodine every night

hold steady salinity of 1.025 calcium sits steady at 470 kh is 11.5

I just recently changed salts
I used IO reef crystals always had issues with all my water parameters
so I tried Kent marine reef salt and I love it
not only did all my problems go away my corals doubled in size
and my Coraline growth kicked in

everything seems so much happier now
I also put 1 drop iodine every night

hold steady salinity of 1.025 calcium sits steady at 470 kh is 11.5

Also just changed to kents reef salt and love it coraline also went crazy lol only problem sometimes the alk mixes low but then i just add a buffer.

Kent salt mixes super high in calc for me, like 560. Anyone else have this problem?

I always roll my tub of salt before I start mixing water

Do you circulate and air rate your water a day or so before adding to your tank

I run airline into powerhead and air rate atleast 24hrs before adding to tank

whats your kh/alk look like

I'd say switch salts. I just stopped using IO salt after having alk issues and switched to Kent for my reef, I like their higher mix w/ calcium and so on.
What test are you using for your calcium? It might be you are using an inaccurate test.

You guys are making me wanna change but I gotta stick with the old rule... "If ain't broke why fix it" the B-ionic seems to be doing the trick, in my case anyway but... It does get expensive.

You guys are making me wanna change but I gotta stick with the old rule... "If ain't broke why fix it" the B-ionic seems to be doing the trick, in my case anyway but... It does get expensive.

Don't know if the salt was the issue or not, just switching it up. MRC's tank looks straight amazing under it, so I'm hoping mine will follow suit.

Lol!!! True im thinking of changin my salt too causing dosing will eventually more expesive but heck i still have 5 buckets of reef crystals i bought half price on Boxing Day.

Jakeit, you need to check your magnesium levels.

Dosing just calcium is gonna cuase balance issues. If coralline is stripping your waters of calcium it would also be removing alk and mag.

Back
Top Bottom