am i at my limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i desided to keep the 55g and setup the 180g so now i'll have 2 tanks heh, but i was wondering now that i have 2 percula clowns medium size, 1 yellow tang(2-3 inches) and 1 squareback anthia(1-2') am i at the recommended fish level for a 55g. also whats some nice shrimp i can put in there and how many shrimp would be recommended for a 55g

hackteck said:
am i at the recommended fish level for a 55g. also what’s some nice shrimp i can put in there and how many shrimp would be recommended for a 55g

I assume your anthia is 1-2” and not 1-2 feet ;) Other then that I’d say your doing fine :D

Stock is determined by a ton of factors but tank size is the most limiting. The “general rule is 1” of fish per 5 gal but following that rule explicitly seems quite limiting to most aquarist. I feel new aquarist should stick to that rule closely and should only slightly exceed it once enough experience is gained.

Of course the other determining factors for stocking are the quality of filtration, pwc schedule, and the type of fish you get.

If you have a skimmer, 1.5+ lbs of lr per gal, and are performing 10+% pwc each week those things allow you to slightly exceed the “rule”.

By buying thinner longer fish like clowns, damsels, wrasse, gobies, ect… and not a fatter or messy eater also helps extend that rule slightly ie: not a puffer, trigger, lion, ect…

The use of a sump to extend total water volume also helps with keeping your nh3/no2/no3 in check.

Total length/height of the tank also has to be considered ie: a 55 gal tank gives you roughly 11”-14” of adult fish length but that doesn’t mean a Dog Face Puffer or Sailfin Tang which reach about that size should be attempted.

Main thing to take into consideration is that SW doesn’t exchange oxygen as well as FW does and greatly overstocking a tank will lead to suffocation if power is out longer then 4 hours. A generator or battery back up is highly recommended if slightly overstocking since all the filtration in the world is completely useless without power.

hackteck said:
what’s some nice shrimp i can put in there and how many shrimp would be recommended for a 55g

For shrimp I really love the personality of my Coral Banded Shrimp but if you do get a CBS only get one! peppermints/cleaners while somewhat more boring are good scavengers and mine all play nice.

thanks for advice guys, i have about 90 lbs of lr in my 55g so i know th lr filtration isnt a problem, i may entertain getting a cbs this weekend

Could anyone give examples of their stocking list for a 55-60gal. I am thinking about upgrading from my 37 to a 60 and and I would like to see what others are doing as well.

My 37g levels are
1 Coral Beauty, 1 Damsel, 1 dottyback
1 Green Open brain Coral; 1 red open brain coral; 1 colt
1 cleaner shrimp, 1 black brittle star, various hermets and snails.

Thanks

Hackteck

I didn't mean to steal this thread....just had similar questions and I thought it would help if i added instead of started a new thread

Back
Top Bottom