"Ambush" Anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had this rock covered in Green Star Polyps for something like 3 months now. Awesome piece, numerous featherdustes in it, just gorgeous. Today I am looking at it from the right side, and I notice some slime rising off of it from the left side. I go around to the left and see a big (relatively) anenome sticking out of the rock!!!! The disk was about the size of a thumb tacks head, pink and green flecks in the disk with a big mouth. The tentacles were clear as glass.
Of coarse it was killing all the polyps around it. So...I gave it a squirt of Joe's Juice and it closed up...cripes sake, the body and foot were the size of a pencil eraser if you pulled it out of the pencil.
I'm just amazed this pretty large (at least the biggest I have ever seen) aptasia was there all this time and I just now decided to pop it's head out.

-------20 min later--------
Crap!!! I turned my PH's back on and it kicked up the joes juice. I think some must have floated onto my BTA...It's not looking so hot. I think It's gonna die. It's all shrunken up and the mouth is open. Just when I thought it was gonna pull through from the bleaching. It actually ate some silverside on Monday. Now I'm bummed. :oops:

Update------------4:03pm
Anenome seems to be better...maybe the jose juice just irritated it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Aiptasia are some tough son of a gun's. As far as the BTA goes, I would not worry too much yet. Give it till tommorrow. If it's still not looking good or if it gets any worse in the mean time, go from there. Keep us posted.

I agree with Mike. You may have to hit the aiptasia again if it was that size. Not to hijack this thread, but I have noticed on the larger ones, if you hit them with Joe's Jiuce, they "come back". I was wondering if they shrivel up and split, instead of coming back. Does anyone know this for fact or do they just come back...?

Well, this ones still all closed up looking like a pencil eraser. The green star polyps are starting to come out around it now. Looks like it didnt kill all of them in the area.

-----12:30pm

It's gone...(The aptasia)..I looked and the little eraser looking foot was gone. I guess one of the shrimp or crabs must have found it and had a meal.

I think I see it coming out again...I guess you were right Roka.... So When I see it open back up, I'll hit it again.

Just inject the base with Calcium Hydroxide, which is the same ingredient as Joes Juice. I prefer a slightly altered method of boiled CaOH2.

Back
Top Bottom