Ammonia Alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone used the ammonia alert "dials" that you hang in the tank? I have one in my main and QT tank. Both are a yellow green color....Reason I started trying this is I am running Cupramine (copper) in the QT tank and its hard to get an accurate reading on the test kit for ammonia when using copper....I tested the QT last night and I have all 0's for trates and trites and .6 for ammonia!!! yeah right...my fish would be killed over if this were the case....the test kit that showed this was Fas Test....dont think they are accurate when using Cupramine...
Anyway, anyone know how to use the "dials" from Seachem? What color do I look for to alert me that the ammonia is bad? Any and all help is appreciated..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=208688#208688

As far as the Ammonia alert badge, yellow is safe and then progresses in color from green to blue. Each stage represents a more harmful level of ammonia from there with blue being the most toxic. It may take a few days for it to read correctly once first placed in the tank so don't be upset if it's registering a yellow-grenish hue. If it remains after a few days, start some water changes.

You can get more detailed info on the Seachem site.

Cheers
Steve

The way you can find out if they work is dip them in true ammonia, if they change color then they are working, I have to to disagree with Steve since they usually change color within 2-4 hours if ammonia is present, Just make sure you replace them every year.

Back
Top Bottom