Amonia spike from 4 fish - what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I havea 150 gallon tank, 40g sump, carbon filter, skimmer and two pieces of live rock.

Now in hind-sight, I know I shouldn't have added as many fish at once - kind of wish the store didn't sell me so many fish at once, but live and learn.

The amonia level in the tank is above 3.0, I've done a 20% water change but it keeps going back up.

Now I've heard from the guys at the store that they recommend I move the larger fish to their aquarium, but I can perhaps keep the stronger ones that seem to be doing fine.

I have:
two small clowns
1 yellow tang
1 fox face
and 1 large lunar wrasse

The wrasse and the clowns seem to be find, however the tang and the foxface are acting very very odd.

I'm not to keen to believe the guys at the LFS, and think I should take them all down there until I can fully cycle the tank (I have another 100lb of live rock on the way).

Thoughts?

I"m pretty new to this salt water tank but if I were you I would take them back. Just last friday I added 2 fish to my tank and by monday they were all dead except for my clown he survived I don't know how but I think by adding the two new ones my ammonia went really high. I lost my yellow tang, my blue hippo, 2 anthiases a small clown and my powder blue tang. You need to go slow believe me this time I'm gonna go real slow probably a fish a month.

I wish there was a way to take them back or at least QT the fish. A reading of 3 is lethal to the fish in the tank. This article will let you know what is going on. Your LFS let you down by selling you those fish before the cycle. You`ll need to do some PWC`s if you cant take the fish out. It will slow down the cycle but at least the fish might live. Read this

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

is there any chance you can get more cured live rock? If so, I would add it and keep up with the PWCs and see if you can take them back. It sounds like your tank can't handle the bioload.

Just a thought...how old is your tank and how did you cycle it?

Back
Top Bottom