Amphipods out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlam18

Aquarium Advice Activist
found way too many Amphipods when lights are off. Some of them are almost 1/4 inch big. How to control its population? Does scooter or red scooter consume them? What other options do I have? Thanks

the mandarin goby will eat them.. they are harmles algae eaters, so its not to worry

I'm not sure it's possible to have too many amphipods. They are working hard for you cleaning up the tank at night. The fact that you are seeing so many says alot for your tank and it's health. Lots of pods=happy tank. Their numbers will rise and fall, I would not worry. :D

Pods are good. Many people add a refuge just to get their pod population up. Good source of protein for fish.

RocketSeason said:
I have yet to see one pod in my tank....

And I probably wouldn't recognize one if I tripped over it! I certainly don't have any that are of a size where I'm thinking it is more than sand blowing around my tank. Wanna send a cup of that pod riddled sand my way?

Yeah, I used to watch mine in the sand against the glass. They have tunnel systems running through. They are really neat to watch. I like your ant reference. lol Just like ants, always busy.

I thought that was just trapped gasses from the denitrification process.... anyone?

RocketSeason said:
I have yet to see one pod in my tank....

I had the same issue. No pods with my live rock order.

Then one day I was in my LFS, and they had a tank just crawling with pods. They'd stored some extra live rock in the tank for a few days. They did their best to scoop some out, along with a few 'dead' conch shells (which were 100% alive btw) and some sand since it was covered in pods too.
Dumped into my hang-on fuge, and now I'm in pod heaven. I need to pull half the chaeto out of the fuge tho, so I'm bound to lose some. I don't notice them in my tank, but its a lot easier to spot them in a small fuge.

Phyl said:
I thought that was just trapped gasses from the denitrification process.... anyone?

Sounds like we both found out that weve got pods today!

Just don't go running down the street yelling "I've got pods!"

yep, you are right. That is why I have the amphipods is out of control. I can see hundreds of those. Any suggestions to control them? I don't know if the amphipods are the cause of my sand getting some black bits.

i have a jaw fish that wont except any prepared foods...had it 4 weeks now and i have yet to see him eat anything i put in the tank :( but when i first turn the lights on it goes nuts at all the scattering pods...it is now trained itself that when the lights come on...he eats :D so i think even though they come out at night the fish still get to consume food

doug

Back
Top Bottom