Amputee Hermit...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I moved my LR yesterday for cleaning and found two hermit legs... They appear to be the far side legs off of my crab. Will they grow back? I am not sure if I caught them in the rock while moving it and ripped them off (although the legs were on opposite sides so that wouldn't be easy) or if he lost them for another reason. He still seems to be ok... he moves around.. He just has two stumps now on each end. Will they regrow?

well that is all he lost and there didn't appear to be anythign but little stumps on the last two... he has six total now I believe (not including the stumps but including the main claw)... Are there supposed to be stubby end legs? To be quite honest... when I look at him I think he would be just about busting out if he had full legs on the ends. I bought him more shells so if he wants to change he can.

It will probably regenerate after a couple of molts. Most Crustaceans can regenerate lost limbs. Portunid crabs do it all the time when they lose claws (chelipeds).

Back
Top Bottom