Anbody modified a Hang on Back Skimmer to work in a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm working out the details for my sump. I have a hang on back skimmer and don't really want to have to purchase a new one. I figured I could add some pipe to the intake piece to make it long enough to reach the water in the sump. But that still leaves me with water falling like 6 inches or so back into the tank, which I'm sure would be noisey. Any ideas or suggestions?

How important is a skimmer in a FOWLR tank?

Jason

It's not mandatory in a FWOLR....but it will make life SO much easier if you use one.
I had wicked cyano problems in my 40 FOWLR which is only lightly stocked. I used a (don't laugh) Prizm skimmer.
When I upgraded last week to a CPR bak-pak, the cyano suddenly started to diminish...and now a week later I have very little cyano. Why? because my skimmer's pulling out all the crap that the Prizm didn't...so it's no longer breaking down into phosphates.

I'd really like to use the skimmer I have hanging on the back of my 55 thats is coming down once the 150 is up and running. But like I said it is a hang on back setup. I'm not sure how to deal with the water fallin 6 inches or so back into the sump.

you could try and place a piece of acrylic at an angle underneath the skimmer so that the water has a ramp to flow down into the sump. I would think that this should minimize any splashing.

Back
Top Bottom