anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbucket

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a LTA that I've had for almost 3 weeks. It moves all around in the tank and the clown always feeds it at feeding time. I suppose it is healthy enough as it inflated and deflates, is the correct color which is tan with green tips. The only problem seems to be that it never puts down its foot and this morning I can see the bottom of the foot and it looks "spotty", like maybe there is some necrosis there. All the parameters in the tank are good. pH 8.4, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrates, sg 1.023. I run a wet/dry filter, skimmer and have live rock in the 37 gallon tank. Other tankmates are 4 peppermint shrimp, a few leftover crabs out of my reef tanks (hitchhikers in the rocks), one blue damsel and the sebae clown who loves the anemone dearly. There are also about 6 hermits and maybe 6 snails. The tank has always been a fish only tank that had velvet in it, all the old fish died. We left it fallow for 5 weeks, then added more live rock and let it recycle. There is about 40 lbs of sand. Lighting is a power compact with 65 actinics and 10,000 K flouresents and moonlighting. Sometimes I think the anemone dislikes the lights because if you want it to move, just put the lights on. So the flouresents are only on about 6 hours a day and the actinics run 10. Is there anything I can do to help the anemone heal its foot or do I have to just let nature take its course? Would hate to lose it...
thanks in advance
cris :D

The lighting is on the low side for this type of anemone. For your tank size, a 2x96w PC light would have been better. The movement may simpley be light related, it's hard to be 100% sure. I would suggest you up the light duration as well since your on the low side of intensity. The actinics should be fine but the daylights could easily be run for another 2-3 hrs/day.

How is the water flow in the tank? This can also be an issue but by the sounds of it, it's more likely a light issue.

Can you post a pic of the foot? May not be necrosis at all but rather natural coloration. That is unless one of your hitchikers has been "snacking". Have you properly ID'd all the crabs? Any cowries?

sg 1.023.
This is also too low for the anemone and the other inverts. Over the next few days you should adjust this up closer to 1.025 SG with a temp closer to 80°. Do not exceed an increase for the SG more than 0.001/day though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom