Anemone & Going away on break.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stoffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in college and it's coming up on winter break, so I'll be away for 4 weeks. My plan is to buy an auto-feeder that will feed my fish daily and have someone come at least once a week to feed my anemone. I currently feed my bulb anemone maybe 4-5 frozen krill once a week. My question is, is it alright for the anemone to go a week without a meal just in case there's no one around that particualr weekend? It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from school to home, so I can drive up for a weekend if I desperately have to, but I'd rather not.

How established is this anemone? Most seem to need to be fed 2-3 times a week. I wouldn't let it go without feeding it for more than a week.

Using an auto-feeder for that long will end up probably leading to poor water quality. Are you going to be able to have the water changed? Anemones are very prone to die in poor quality water.

Well, turns out I can probably have my fish fed every day, so I won't need an auto feeder, but I usually don't do any water changes, since I have a refugium setup and a well-established ecosystem, so I usually don't have to. I also add buffer to the water daily, so my water has stayed in very good condition for a while now. The only new water that goes into it is a gallon of distilled water every once in a while when the water level gets too low.

The anemone has been in there for about 3 months, and it's pretty well established. I was told to only feed it once a week, but I'll feed it more often now, maybe on or two every few days.

That would be great if you can find someone to check on it everyday, my carpet eats every 3 days. have fun on your break and I hope all goes well.

Happy Holidays!
Kaye

Stoffer said:
The anemone has been in there for about 3 months, and it's pretty well established. I was told to only feed it once a week, but I'll feed it more often now, maybe on or two every few days.
Your once a week feedings are more than enough. That combined with daily fish feedings is actually too much. I would not recommend increasing the feedings for the anemone at all. If anything, cut back.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom