Anemone has ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paglaum22

Aquarium Advice Regular
My anemone, the one who survived when his foot was partially damaged before now looks like has white powder like patches on some of it's tentacles. The clownfish who used to be hosted by him was already dead when I arrived from work. Before I left for work that clownfish after been hosted by nem was almost filled with that white powdery substances on it's skin and won't eat which is odd for him. I'm planning to wait at least a month before getting another clownfish hoping the "ICH" from the nem will disappear. Any help will greatly be of help. Only the clownfish and prob the nem were affected, I have 4 more fishes...Thanks..

A picture of the nem, hope the white patches are clear enough..
IMG_1857.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic mate. But if you know for sure that the clown had Ich, then it is very likely that the other remaining fishes caught it too or will catch it. My advice would be to quarantine the fish in a separate tank and give them a copper treatment and leave your DT FALLOW for at least two months. Good thing with copper is that it will treat a wide range of diseases. And DO NOT USE COPPER IN YOUR DT!!! This will kill all your inverts.

Ich and other marine parasites such as Marine Velvet need a fish host in order to continue it's life cycle. Without any fish in your DT the Ich parasite should die off and you should be fine to move your fish back into the DT after the copper treatment is over and your FALLOW period is completed. Hope this helps.

thanks

Thanks for the reply, I have 3 fishes left but I don't see any signs of ich from them, I read that only fishes get ich, but I'm just wondering where the clownfish got those white, powdery on his skin...my plan is to wait for at least a month before getting another clownfish because I know the fish will be hosted. Was thinking of getting another clownfish from other lfs but all of my fishes are from that store and only the clownfish got the problem.. so we'll see..

I don't think the ich is from the nem as nem is not a host for ich simply because nem doesn't have the same tissue skin of a fish that ich required. The "white patch", usually is caused by the nem stretch its tentacle way too long. That could be a sign of not high enough lighting as it try to reach out for more lights. I actually see that happen all the time when I kept my first GBTA almost 10 years ago under PC.

Thanks for your advice guys, I'll take that in mind....I just felt like my reef isn't complete without a clownfish, just love the fish personality :)

Back
Top Bottom