Anemone Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a sebae anemone (I think), and I can't get it to hold still. Everywhere I put the anemone, it jumps off the rock and rolls around on the sand until I put it back up on the rock. Then it jumps again.

I realize they find their own spots, but I've noticed that it's much more filled out and happy-looking when I wake up in the morning and the only light in the tank is coming through the window. After I turn the tank lights on, it shrivels up some. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Gauge said:
Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Moving it about will also prevent the anemone from attaching. Best thing to do is leave it be and let it find it's own place. You should not attempt to place it or move it in a desired location if it does not move there own it's own. Unless in danger of a PH or other equip intake, do not touch them.

If it is reacting to your lights then it may need a shady spot where there is not alot of water flow. They will extend themselves outward to get the light they need but will not stay in an area that has too much water flow. Depending on how the rock is positioned, you may need to make some alterations to provide some outcroppings. If it is truely a sebae, they like to have their foot secured in crevaces of hard surfaces so bear that in mind as well.

Is the anemone sticky to the touch and is there the possibility of a pic?

Cheers
Steve

Moving it about will also prevent the anemone from attaching. Best thing to do is leave it be and let it find it's own place.

Just for clarification, I would let him alone for a week at a time and he'd just stay rolling around on the sand.

Is the anemone sticky to the touch...

His tentacles are, yes. I hate that feeling. His foot is smooth and slimey, though. Is this a sign that he's healthy? I ask because I had an anemone that only lasted a week once, and I noticed that he was not prickly at all.

...and is there the possibility of a pic?

Yep, I'm attaching it. :)

Thanks a bunch for the help steve-s. It's been a while. Good to hear from you again. :)[/quote]

I have had two that have gotten into my pumps and need I say more about that..EEEWWW.. I dont dare get another until I find out why they keep committing suicide. Any ideas as to why they do this or how to prevent it??

You'll have to put screens over the intakes of any pumps/powerheads. I have found that the Hagen powerhead filters with the inner core and floss removed make good screens. They are large enough that there isn't a lot of suction at any given point on the screen.

The sebae looks quite healthy actually. Not much zooxanthellae loss at all, very nice. Yes the "stickiness" is a good indication of health as well as a closed mouth (which the pic does not show). I think a majority of the problem is the lack of light intensity though. 2x55w PC on a 42 gal hex tank is not going to help. What I would suggest is ensuring that you have a rock area that is built up quite high close to the lights and not in a direct/high flow area. Do not try and move the anemone though unless it's in a danger area. As the others mentioned intakes are one of the more common and unfortunate cause of anemone deaths.

I would honestly suggest you try and incorporate an single MH bulb into your set up. It will allow for you to properly care for and keep the anemone healthy. Without the proper light, the anemone will not survive long...

Cheers
Steve

I just got back from my LFS and the guy there said that the anemone that they had in their tank was the only one that didn't require high lighting and would suffice with NO lighting. I don't have a picture, but it looked similar to the one above, but it was more of a pinkish color. Was he right or pulling my leg? Thanks.

flamron said:
Was he right or pulling my leg? Thanks.
It was either a curlycue, aiptasia or you had your wallet out... LOL

Either way he is wrong. The only anemone that will prosper in lower lighting is a condylactis and even they will not fair well under NO lighting not to mention they are a cooler water species and often do not thrive in warmer reef tanks. Haitians will do better in a reef tank but again, NO lighting will not keep them heathy. There is a big difference between a thriving animal and one that is just surviving. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Wow, this thread grew fast. ;)

So, are you saying that my lighting is inadequate in terms of how much light there is or in terms of quality (spectrum or something like that)?

It always seems that my anemones (I've had two that have lasted for multiple months) are running away from the light rather than seeking it. Very strange. :/

Gauge said:
So, are you saying that my lighting is inadequate in terms of how much light there is or in terms of quality (spectrum or something like that)?
It's not the quality of light but rather the intensity. Hex tanks are rather tall and make light penetration difficult with the lights you have now. They may be fine for other less demanding animals but not an anemone. Ask yourself this, would you feel safe placing an LPS or other light demanding coral in the tank and feel assured it will thrive?

It always seems that my anemones (I've had two that have lasted for multiple months) are running away from the light rather than seeking it. Very strange. :/
When an anemone is placed in a new environment, they will react in various ways and are seldom good from the getgo. Many hide, roam, fade or simpley turn to goo. It has much to do with where they have been as much as where they finally end up. They go through an increadible amount of stress during capture, transport and acclimation at the LFS which usually has inadequate lighting. It then goes to a new home were the environment changes again. Sometimes higher, par or lower lighting to that which it was housed before. The continuous changes take their toll on an animal that quite honestly can live 100's of years in the same spot without a moving more than a few inches. To put it simpley, the reactions you are seeing is just the anemone adjusting for better or worse is yet to be determined.

I have kept various species of anemone for several years all of which are alive and thriving including a sebae. I can assure you that this type of lighting will not keep the anemone healthy for long. I am urging you to either consider additional lighting or forego your pursuits of keeping such a species.

Cheers
Steve

I hear ya, steve-s. The good news is that I have a new tank coming in the near future (couple months) and my last anemone was alive and well after that long in my tank.

Last night I saw the anemone face down in the sand and thought that maybe it was like that because of the clown pushing it around while playing in it. So, I turned it back over and shoved it under an overhang in my tank (you can see the "bridge" rock at the top of one of the pictures I'm attaching). I figured the rock would keep him from being turned over unintentionally and would shield him from the light that he seems to want to avoid.

This morning he is upside down again in the center of the tank, but looking very happy (see pics). Can they move when upside down with their tentacles or something? Should I allow this to continue? I'm just affraid that I'm not watching him adjust, but watching him sit there unable to move or do anything about his situation.

There is little you can do about it. The anemone is more than capable of righting itself providing the flow of the water is not working against it. What you may wish to try is building a rock pile somewhat in the shape of a "volcano" where the anemone can be easily and gentley positioned inside without preventing it's own free movement. That will break the water flow and possibley give it more of an opportunity to attach it's foot. There is little or nothing you can do to force the situation. It will either attach and do well or not...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom