Anemone looks super bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Um...i got an anemone, i don't remember what kind, however its been deflated the rntire time i've had it. It opens up sometimes, but not to where its completely inflated...should i just take it back? Is something wrong, or is this normal for an anemone in a new environment?

How long have you had the anemone? Try and find out what kind it is too. Different anemones need different requirements. Lighting, placement, waterflow, is all of importance to a anemones survival. If you aren't providing the right environment for your anemone, it won't open in most cases.

hi matman...
anemone`s i thought would need a much larger tank than 12G....
they really need halide (something of that quality)lighting too
This is why i never entertained gettin 1 and i have a 35G with nothin much in it .
But good luck and i am sure you wil sort it out )

Do you know which nano you got? Is it the standard with 24watts of lighting or the deluxe with 48 watts?
they really need halide (something of that quality)lighting too
This not entirely true. While a lot of species of anemone need intense lighting, there are some speices that will actually shy away from strong lightng (bubble tip anemone is one.)
It is important we figure out the species. Any chances on posting a pic? Wht are your current water parameters?

Um, parameters are all normal, except for the nitrates still a little on the high side.

the anemone eas on the bottom of the rock and was being disturbed by my starfish and the shrimp, so i flipped the rock so it was on top, it seems to be opening up more. Here is a pic if anyone would like to tell me what kind of anemone it is.

Attachments

• anemone_772.jpg
    anemone_772.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 176
From the pic it is hard to tell the species. You never commented on the lighting. How much do you have?

i have the normal Nano, not the DX. So whichever comes with that one, thats what lighting i have.

This is what worries me:

Attachments

• yipes.jpg
    yipes.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 161
Ya, that does not look good. You do not have the proper lighting to keep an anemone. I would remove the rock and clean off what is left of the anemone. These things can really foul your water when they die in the tank. I would do a 25% water change and start some new carbon. What advice, if any, did you get on this animal from the LFS?

If it is not dead yet, it will just be a matter of time. I would still suggest removing it. If you think it has a chance, you may want to brng it back to the LFS.

Heres the weird thing...when the light is off, if gets super inflated and big. It isnt until i turn the light on that it shrivels up...weird...

Have you tried feeding it? I have a long tenacula anemia and I feed it a peace of clam or shrimp every nite. Have had it for sometime and by most people standards I do not have the right light but most folks don,t understand light anyway they think watts matter they don't lum is what maters. and type of light (color) maters . If my long tenacula goes a couple days without being feed he starts to shrink up some. I don,t know what type you have but maybe he wants to be fed

Ok, so here is what i did. I just fed the anemone direvtly with the flake food i have, it looked to be closing up and eating it. I'll let you know if it starts to look any better

You should be able to buy some frozen clam meat at your local lfs. Just cut off a small peace and lay it on his moth it should eat it right up.

UPDATE!

So, ashobson, you are a life saver. I fed the anemone directly, and it opened up right away!

I thought the two ocellaris clowns i had in my tank were too big, so i returned then and purchased a small Gold Stripped Maroon Clown. I'm hoping it will take to the anemone!

I've posted an updated picture of my anemone, as well as one of my whole tank!

Attachments

• goodnemone.jpg
    goodnemone.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 103
  • goodfull.jpg
    goodfull.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 107
It looks good. This tank isn't very old huh?

People are interested in your lighting because that is where the anenome gets it's food from. If it doesn't have the correct light, you will need to feed it more often.

I'm glad that it took the food. Like lando, I thought it would be a goner. Usually by the time they look like that , they are not going to eat.

If it does get worse, it may cause an ammonia spike when it dies that will certainly kill everything in your 12 gallon.

Best of luck.

gosh all so ready to toss the poor verty out! :p let him liive! im glad it worked out.. i was scared for my H.crispa for a short while too.. but he is doing lovely, lovely, lovely. we put in lots more light, and barely have to give him direct feed.. he's large as a dinner plate, and seems to be enjoying himself.:p never know what can happen!

Well thanks for the support...or lack there of, HAHAHAHA!!!

Ok, so here is an update: I fed my anemone directly, it opened up...all is good!

I had 2 ocellaris clownfish that i felt were getting too large for my tank (go figure) and so i took them back in exchange for a yellow stripped maroon clown.

Within 2 days it took to the anemone!! I came home from school and it was just hanging out in it! I was so happy!

So all is well in the tank.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom