Anemone question (w/pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your nem probally will not make it long term, 2 weeks after a tank is cycled is a death sentence 90% of the time. I know you think I'm wrong but it is the truth. Your nem has already had issues, torn foot, ect. Good luck

Hopefully he'll survive, before when he tore his foot, I heard that 99% of the time he'll not survive but now it completely healed, remains to be seen, all life on earth are ever so dynamic. Thanks, I'll update if he'll survive or not.
Jimmye4fish, goodluck on your anemone..

Looks like I've got some more reading to do! Oh we'll that's what work is for right? Thanks again for all the info and advice! I will update in about 5 days or so.

The last few days its been opened up but not as large as it once was. Today when I get home it looks like this. It seemed to be doing better after the water change on Saturday until today. My new lights won't be here until prob next week. Should I cut my losses or just wait it out? I don't want to mess up the tank and kill our fish.

image-3696753373.jpg

This pic below is how it's been since after the water change until today.

image-975039288.jpg

Guess I will do that tomorrow instead of Saturday. Thank you sir!

When I woke up this morning all the lights were off and the nem was opened a little (used my cell phone light) and when I got home it was completely closed up. So I dimmed the lights to about 1/2 power and it looks better now than it has in a few weeks. Could this home made LED light be to strong? Could it be because there is 6 rows of white vs one blue? (Whites are the only ones that dim). It doesn't look like it did the first week but within 3 hours of dimming the whites it looks 100 times better than it has. Just curious.

Well, it's a LED home made job. When I bought the whole thing I thought it would be fine. It's plenty bright and has the blue also. Well after a little reading I see now that bright doesn't always cut it. I've been debating (for about 5 days) getting a new LED or T5 HO light. Just don't know if I need a 4 bulb or a 6 for the T5. Plus they are so dang expensive. Seems like everyone has different opinions and I don't want to spend the money to find out what I bought isn't right.

Is it possible to get some pics of your home made led lights to see what you have. Lighting might not be a issue for you.

Here ya go. There really isn't any info that tells me anything about these lights.

image-938692341.jpg

image-1277889724.jpg

Hard to tell anything from that picture. Who made the unit? Can you talk to that guy? If the anemone is coming out a little with your lights dimmed, I would say that's your answer. I noticed that some anemones take a long time to acclimate to strong lighting. Especially LED lighting. It took me about a month to acclimate a Long Tentacle Anemone to LEDs.

Well I think I will leave the lights set lower and see how it does. Yeah I have called the dude I got it from and sent a txt but no response as of yet. It did make me feel a little better seeing it look so much better in such a short time. I will do an update if there is change either way. Thanks again.

Well I did find out yesterday that the homemade LED light I have produces too much for my tank. With the lights all the way up they are putting out about 8 watts per gallon. Since I've had them dimmed the anenomie is doing so much better. The rose color is back instead of the brown, it's eating much better and the size is looking great. As of now I am a happy camper!

image-1386085392.jpg

very doubtful the homemade lights are too bright. We usually do homemade to save money. I know you are looking for people to support you but I really just have be honest. You dont have the right conditions or equipment to keep a nem. Outside of lighting, your previously post about water parameters are all over the board. If you tank is ready for a nem, you parameters would be stable and there would be no questions as to how to fix them. Good luck

How can you say that without knowing ANYTHING about the OP's lighting? Those could be strips of 3 watt LEDs. In that case he's got enough light for anything he wants, even if he raised that fixture up another 2 feet.
This is a 75 gallon tank, x 8 watts per gallon equals 600 watts of LED. That's plenty of wattage at least.

I kinda thought the same way Mr X. That's what the guy at the new LFS said. I showed him a pic of my lights and he said they actually had a vendor that was trying to get then to stock and sell these lights. He bought a 4ft strip and likes them, but said he has other stuff available cheaper. He did the math of how many watts per LED that were in a 4 foot strip and he said it was too much for my 75 gallon tank. He wasn't trying to sell me a new light just advised me to turn them down or remove a couple of strips. The anenome looks so much better since I turned them down too. I know this is all a learning experience and I prob jumped the gun on the anenomie but we live and learn. I have my fingers crossed that it makes it.

Any proof it is 8 watts per gallon, manufactures can't claim 200 watts if it isn't. With home made units it is a free for all. Most DIY LEDs clam 3 watts, but if you read the small print they only use 1.5 to 2 watt.

How can you say that it is 600 watt to jump on me for my opinion, so if I'm wrong what makes you better?

I have successfully raised nems for almost 10 years, I base my opinion on my successful experiences, I knw what works, and home made lighting very seldom work, you have been on here a long time And I am sure I will get band as I'm just an average joe reefer, your reply was an attack, I won't post again, this is the problem with a small forum, you can't post your opinion without getting attached from the admins, signing off

No one is going to ban anyone for their opinion, as long as it doesn't get ugly. I don't know the wattage of these LEDs and either do you. We simply saw a picture.
I came to 600 watts becasue the OP said it was roughly 8 watts per gallon. just doing the math.
I believe LED lighting to be stronger than we think, per watt.

I didn't mean for anyone's feathers to get ruffled by my post. I appreciate all opinions. That's what a forum is about. Trial, error and experience of the ones that have been there and done that to give advice. Have a good night everyone!

Back
Top Bottom