Anemone questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I introduce a few anemones before I start getting fish, will they settle out in one place and be reef compatible?

I'm just starting now and just about to introduce fish. I'm holding off on corals for a bit.

I envision getting one carpet and one ritteri and letting them settle before I start gettng corals. At that point, I'd like to start filling up with a variety of corals. I've just heard too much about anemones stinging the coral and would like to do it right.

Assuming you have the proper lighting they should be OK. Just be aware that the carpet is the most lethal of the anenomes for your fish.

I'm just starting now and just about to introduce fish. I'm holding off on corals for a bit.
I assume this means you recently started up the tank? If so, both anemonies you mentioned are difficult to keep, with the ritteri being extremely difficult. I would not suggest putting them in any tank thats been established less than 1 year.

I agree with ccCapt. Its worth waiting for, and will save you a bunch of $$$ in the long run.
Good Luck!

Ahhh...the alure of the anemone. It is easy to see why people want them...they are beautiful and seem to "capture" the underwater world better then anything. That said, you have been offered some very good advice. These animals are not for new tanks or for tanks that can't support their photosynthetic needs.

I suggest starting with some fish (SLOWLY) that are reef safe then move onto some easy corals (depending on lighting). Only after you have managed to keep your animals happy and healthy for several months should you attempt any anemones. Sorry to be the barer of bad news but many of us speak from experience.

Last edited:
not taken as bad news. . .just good advice. I'm lucky because I bought all of the equipment and haven't started stocking yet. I'm just toying with the water and a cleanup crew right now and in no hurry to kill fish.

Thanks for the answers.

Back
Top Bottom