Anemones in Reef Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enygma_0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All,

I was wondering what everyone thought about having anemones in a reef tank. I eventually want to have some sps and had heard anemones will sting the crap out of corals if you are not careful. Can someone please assist me in this as I want to give my 2 perculas a new home but also want a reef tank as well.

if u really want a anenmome i would add it first, let it establish a home, remember they are tough to care for and the best of us can have problems caring for them. they need good light and dedication. after it has found a good home it may be less likly to move however thats not a gurantee. and yes they will sting the crap out of corals if they do move.

On the other hand if u get torch corals or frogspawn there is a good chance your percs will host them and since they are corals they will not move.

My warty anemone, hardy though he is, has been a little under the weather today. WQ looks good, so maybe he was just a little hungry or maybe hung over from the clean water I added (after siphoning the tank/gravel) last night.

Remember that your clowns do not need an anonome to be happy in your reef tank. I have a rose BTA that my two percs hang out in, but they also play in my torch coral, hammer coral and hairy mushrooms. If yu are worried about having an anonome, I would skip it.

Well I am not sure but I have a 24" retro Aqualight 1x 65W 03 and 1x 65W 10,000k bulbs for my 29g aquarium. What would be your thoughts on this?

i would say your border line, if u want one i would try a bubble tip. i have one with the same lights on my 36 gallon, however it does tend to stay close to the lights. It's been a little over 2 years so far so good. he hasnt split but when i feed him often enougn he looks great if u want to see him i have a pic in my gallery. Good luck

I saw a BTA here in Petco not long ago that was $31.99. I guess that had I bought it, I would have gotten what I paid for like I did with the LTA.

Morrishman gave good advice. I would like to add that you should have very stable conditions for an anemone. Usually it is best to add an anemone anytime after 8 months from when you tank is cycled. Lots people suggest waiting a year before attemping to add one.
Anemones can get real large so make room for growth.

Back
Top Bottom