anenome placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
It seems my Rose BTA was decided to move a bit. He parked himself right next to one of my favorite orange centered zoo colonies. Hafe of the colony is now retracked. Do I need to worry about the anenome stinging the zoos? Or vise-versa?

Is it possible to relocate the zoos? It's not worth the risk of waiting to see who stings who first... the anemone might decide to move again in which case you can put them back.

IME Rose BTA's have a rather mild sting that is less likely to kill off any of the corals in a reef...More of an annoyance than any thing else.. And the zoos aren't gonna harm the anemone either.. I'd keep an eye on it and see if the anemone continues to move.. If not I would try to coax the anemone off..

thanks for the replies. Moving the zoos is not an option as they are attatched to a large rock that serves as a foundation to that side f the reef. Might just have to wait it out.

Yeah just keep a close eye on them... moving the anemone should definitely be a last resort because you don't want to damage it's foot. Plus if it likes the spot it will just move back anyway.

The only other thing I can think of is increasing the flow in the area.. that might make it find another spot.

if you do have to move the rba it takes a long time but i ahve had to do it at the lfs to get them off the rock. if you rub the foot they will slowly remove it from the rock. do it slowly and not to hard. but it takes like 45 min to do it.

Increasing the water flow does help. Mine went behind the rocks. I couldn't get to it to feed it. I aimed the PH more toward it and it moved around front and on top of a rock now. I hope it stays there. GL

Fluff said:
I hope it stays there.
lol, I know exactly how you feel... its stressful knowing they could up and move any minute while you're not around! :lol:

I think I'm gonna pick up a Rose BTA but I"m worried about it wondering as well....

One little trick I've noticed is pointing an LED moonlight right at them.. that will make them less likely to wander after lights off.

Atari said:
One little trick I've noticed is pointing an LED moonlight right at them.. that will make them less likely to wander after lights off.

Never head that but I have a few extras, I'll give it a try when I'm ready to get one :wink:

I tend to not want to move anenomes. I know it is nice to have them front and center inthe tank but I figure they will find a place they like on their own. My rose BTA has never moved much. He was attatched to the side of a rock so when I aggitated the water around him he retracted. this allowed my to put a small rock over the opening it was coming out of. He poked out further down the reef and all is well. I did not have to move him or my zoos.

Back
Top Bottom