anenome question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
i inherited a bubble-tip anenome and i can't get it to eat. everytime i try to feed it, it retracts itself as soon as it's touched. it did eat some blender mush once but it spit it out soon after. i read somewhere about them losing their ability to sting. could this be the problem? i have a bubble coral that i feed and it really grabs the food, is this what the anenome should be doing or am i doing something wrong?

Also, anemones can be failry "choosey" when it comes to finding a food they will accept. Though we tend to think raw seafood is raw seafood, you might want to play around a little with different food offerings. Some anemones will eat raw shrimp, others oysters, others scallops, others krill, etc.

HTH,

thanks for the advice! i've only had it about 6 weeks and today my percula finally moved in, YEAH! as far as food, i've been trying to feed it raw tiger shrimp from publix. i guess i will have to keep trying. will it be more apt to take food if the clown is bringing it?

I would make sure the pieces are small 1/4" at the largest. Although, the size shouldn't matter with stinging or not. It sounds as though the health has deteriorated a bit.

A clown living symbiotically w/ it will help the anemone 2 fold. You should not have to do much but watch water quality and lighting, the clown will take pretty good care of her host. My maroon clown feeds the bubble tip first, then grabs some food for himself! (frozen store bought food, mixture of krill, scallop, lobster, etc., etc., etc.).

exactly how does the anenome eat? will it shuffle the food to it's mouth or does it close up around it? i just tried to feed it some raw clam and scallop, but to no avail :( . i haven't seen the clown feed it yet but he just took up residence a couple of days ago.

Back
Top Bottom