annemone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catskinner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I puchased a piece of live rock with a 3" sebia annemone attached, after introducing it to our reef tank I see there is another annemone on the piece of live rock. The sebia was interacting with the other annemone for a while then started moving away. It left the rock and is now at the suface of the tank. Here is a pic of the other annemone, it kind of looks like an aptasia but I am not sure. What is your opinion?

img_1781129_0_e48e3b0a79fe5e5d261d56b173d6c273.jpg

Looks a bit like a ball anemone. Could be aiptasia though. Those things always look weird and different from eachother. Those tentacles kind of give it away though, as aiptasia usually looks like that.

I have had a few aptsia but the green at the base of the tentacles looks different. The other annemonie that was on the rock left it entirely and went to the glass of the tank.

Zer0 said:
Idk.. this anemone kind of looks thin and less developed as well as much smaller then normal curly cue anemone's. Not sure though...

If seen curly cue nems at petco and when theyre light deprived they shrivel up to the size of a quarter but it looks like it could be something else

Then you could be right. I wasn't counting out your suggestion. That may very well be a light deprived curly cue. The tentacles surely do have some resemblance as well.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess time will tell if it is light deprived. My pic doesn't give you much reference for size, but the green ring is between nickle and quarter size.

have you poked it yet with anything? Try to poke it and if it retracts and grabs your poking device i would vote it aiptasia. Nasty little buggers....

Thanks Carey, I just took a pencil eraser and poked at it. It just grabbed it with some of the tentacles which folded into the center but it did not collapse. I also have an aptasia that I haven't killed yet so gave it the same treatment. It completely retracted and disappeared back it the rock.

I would wait to see what it becomes. I don't think anemones can sting each other however. I'll have to research that a bit.

catskinner said:
Thanks Carey, I just took a pencil eraser and poked at it. It just grabbed it with some of the tentacles which folded into the center but it did not collapse. I also have an aptasia that I haven't killed yet so gave it the same treatment. It completely retracted and disappeared back it the rock.

I doubt its aptasia though. Search curly cue because I was going to buy a large one at petco then when I came back a week later I saw it shriveled up to the size of a half dollar

Back
Top Bottom