Another Algae Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 90 gallon reef setup with 2X175 watt 10,000 Mh lighting and I am still recovering from a huge green hair algae outbreak in August. :( I associated it with unrecovered dead fish, ich, :cry: and a phosphate problem (bad RO membrane). I have removed the phosphate using a phosphate sponge to bring the levels down to 0 to .03 and I have performed many 10 gallon water changes. In addition I reduced the light cycle down to where most of the algae cleared up after some scrubbing.

Now I am trying to bring the light cycle back to around 12 hours, but I can't get there without the algae threatening to take over again. I purchased a few more snails, but I still only have about 4 or 5 of the large Mexican Turbo Snails and 4 or 5 of the smaller Astrea snails. I also have a few assorted hermit crabs. I am currently at about 6 hours and the snails seem to be able to just keep up.

My question is 'does this seem normal'? Is the answer that I just need to purchase more algae eaters, i.e. snails? :?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

awillemd1

IMO, you do need more snails as I don't feel that the large Turbo snails do as well as other types of snails. Try for a mix of Tiger Trochus, Trochus, cerith, nerite, astrea (which you currently have), and nassarius (for DSB). I would give these a try. Also, some people may recommend algae eating fish. What are your current tank inhabitants and feeding schedule?

Thank you for your reply. :)

I currently have only a Yellow Tang and a Spotted Hawkfish. For inverts I have two starfish, a lobster, 2 small crabs (unknown species), and no coral. I plan to add a couple of fish in the next month.

I only feed about once every other day with flake food.

awillemd1

definately need more snails, i have 40+ in my 29, also could try a conch or two. How are your calcium levels? Encouraging coralline algae growth will edge out the hair algae. (hopefully!)

Thanks for your reply. :)

My calcium is up around 430 ppm. I think all of my chemistry is in good shape. Except I don't measure magnesium levels or iodine levels.

It looks like it is unanimous. I need more snails!
:)
awillemd1

Back
Top Bottom