Another aquarium/aquaculture site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diverdown69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Cephalopod aquaculture
We also visited this facility. These guys use air lifts to move LARGE amounts of water all over the indoor facility with no mechanical pumps in the system. They are culturing squids, cuttlefish, and even octopus. It was absolutely amazing to see it in person.

I just finished perusing the site....fantastic database they have there!
Thanks for the link.

No problem. Once I finish my M.S. this coming summer, that is the kind of place I can see myself working. You would really have to see it to believe it. They culture cuttlefish at a fairly high density. If you haven't seen a squid or cuttlefish eat, it is a really neat thing to see.

Wow very cool. I did get to see an Octo eat on a night dive this past summer in Cozumel. What an experience.
Thanks for sharing!!

The cuttlefish and squids are raptorial. They extend their middle tentacles VERY quickly to grab food from the water column. If you blink you will miss it...seriously. The facility was actually quiet. No whirrrrr of mechanical pumps. Just the low-pitch gurgling of water from the airlifts. We could actually talk at normal volumes there. Some places where I have been had so many pumps runnig that you couldn't even hear yourself talk, much less someone else.
Believe me, I will almost certainly have more stuff to post up. We are going to another red drum aquaculture facility in 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom