Another Chemistry Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
After some research: i found out that without the proper amount of magnesium coral cannot use the calcium present in the tank. Therefore, if your calcium levels drop a certain amount of calcium a day can i assume that i have the proper amount of magnesium. This is just temporary cause my LFS was out of magnesium test kits. But considering i do frequent water changes as well has test for KH and Calcium( and have the supplements if i need them) i figured i would be ok in the short run until my mag test kit comes in the mail.

I'm not sure what your question is, but when a hard coral builds it's calcium carbonate skeleton, it uses aprox 18 ppm calcium - 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH) alk - 2 ppm magnesium. If the calcium level drops below 380, or alk below 6 dKH or mag below 1200 the calcification process will slow down or stop.

Thanks that was very informative! My tank calcium has been dropping around 20 ppm per day since i added my Acroppora. What i was asking was since my tank calcium is dropping at 20 ppm a day can i assume i have at least the proper magnesium? i was asking because i dont have a magnesium tester i am waiting for that and some magnesium supplement in the mail.

What corals do you have in your tank and how big is it? 20ppm drop is calcium is very large and usually only happens in tanks packed full of SPS corals.

i only have 2 sps corals. ORA birds nest and a fairly large blue acropora frag

Back
Top Bottom