another light question, only on a 40b with a depth of 11"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello all,

i need to know what i can keep and be successful with in a 40 gallon breeder. i will have a dsb leaving me with only 11-12 inches of depth. i was really leaning to a nova extreme 4x39w.

are clams possible?

if i need a 6 bulb will it wash out other corals being so close to them?

and what ati bulb combo should i run?

thank you

So you are going with a reef with the 40 huh? LOL Figures....

I think the 4 bulb should be fine with that depth, in fact I have the same dilemma with my 20g, I have only about 11 inched of water after the sandbed is accounted for. I'm leaning either towards a 4 bulb T5 setup or a cheap halide setup.

I always recommend ATI bulbs, kove them to death! I would be going with 2 aquablue specials, a blue plus and either another blue plus or a purple plus. :)

Just me and my preference for blue I guess. :)

so you wouldnt have any whites in there at all Carey? The only reason I ask is because my 4 bulb T5 fixture came with 2 blue and 2 whites...

Clams are possible. I would consider some moderate light corals like a squamosa or Derasa clams.

thank you carey. ive mentioned it in a few other threads but sweety pie is down sizing. we are getting rid of our 75 and not getting a larger replacement. so my little breeder is now my special little project.

and thank you melosu for the recommendations. ill do some looking on them.

While u on the subject of light I'm buying a 2x250w halide unit with 2x t5 54w what t5 should I put in and do u think I'll be able to keep all corals tank is 60 gal

with those yes.

i would put purples or actinic in to help balance off the white of the halide.

you may find that you will not even need to run your t5's with those halides.

thats all i know and i may be wrong.

i would think you could keep a clam under a 4 lamp fixture at only 11-12 inches.
i would use 2 blue plus and 2 aqua blue specials.
i would use ATI blue plus in that halide fixture scotty. you could keep whatever you want in that 60 gallon.

i would think you could keep a clam under a 4 lamp fixture at only 11-12 inches.
i would use 2 blue plus and 2 aqua blue specials.
i would use ATI blue plus in that halide fixture scotty. you could keep whatever you want in that 60 gallon.

so glad you chimed in mr_x.

do i need all the blue for the growing ability or can i sub a purple plus for one of the blue plus.

should i be mindful of how i stack them in the fixture? or just any order?

i just dont want a blue tank, but if i need it i need it.

thank you.

kk thanks carey. what about subbing one of the purples for a blue plus? or do i need the light spectrum of the blue plus?

I would be going with what Mr x suggested, the two specials and the 2 blue plus's. BUT alot of people add the purple instead of the one blue plus to lessen the blue hue. I don't really notice it I guess lol

carey said:
I would be going with what Mr x suggested, the two specials and the 2 blue plus's. BUT alot of people add the purple instead of the one blue plus to lessen the blue hue. I don't really notice it I guess lol

That's because you like the blue? I'll try the suggested bulb combo. Thanks for replying carey

i have KZ in my 4 lamp which are more or less the same thing as the ATIs only the day lights are 10k and 14k where as the ATI is 12k. anyways i have a 14k a fiji purple and 2 super blues and they are extremely powerful and the color is great.

corals do best with high PAR and a wide range in the spectrum, but remember different corals in nature are at different depths and the color that penetrates the deepest in nature is ble, which is why the water looks bluer the deeper the water gets and the clearer it is when it shallow. that being said the assumption that SPS that are closer to the surface would benifit more from a wide range of like and i would say aim for about 15k-17k color in the system but some like it bluer then that

im a fan of the ati purple plus. ive never seen the blue plus. thank you for your knowledge ... im looking forward to seeing this light set up.

I have the 6 bulb nova extreme pro t5ho fixture on my 40b and am loving it. Still haven't gone much of a reef yet though lol.

Back
Top Bottom