Anti-Red Cyanobacteria Remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone used this stuff? It says that it is reef safe and will not destroy your nitrifying bacteria. I know this seems impossible, but I know that cyanobacteria and normal prokaryotic bacteria are actually very different. Cyanobacteria are more closely related to eukaryotic cells (What we are made of), than prokaryotes (normal bacteria). The only thing that scares me is that it says cyanobacteria release toxins as they die and could distress your fish? Has anyone had this happen?

Try " chemi clean" I've heard it works great .., a buddy used some and was no worse for the wear.., just remember to turn off all protien skimmers,uv,reactors,..remove carbon and use an air stone,...a 20-25 percent water change is required after 48 hrs.....remember that you still have to find out WHY you were getting cyno and fix that so it will not happen again.

thanks for the advice. on this bottle of anti-red it says "must be used with a skimmer". ill look into chemi clean though. The cause is phosphates because I dont use Ro/di water. I think i need to start though

Must use the ro/ di filters for sure.., but these Also must be changed out on a regular basis.., make sure you replace them long before the manufacture's recommendations to be on the safe side., ( he had old filters).... I just replaced mine to be on the safe side,.....I can't reply to any other cyno remover than the chemi clean,....but I know it worked for him,..... Google it,...inexpensive too

Thanks for your help, yes it seems like that is the only way I'm going to be able to completely rid myself of cyano. I don't overfeed so it has to be the phosphates since I just use conditioned tap water instead of ro/di. Do you have a ro/di unit that you recommend?

chemi clean won't hurt you. just make sure the water is good or the cyano (which is only a symptom) will return. it will take multiple water changes to remove it once it's eradicated the cyano. follow the directions exactly.

I think I might just try this anti-red stuff. I already have it and have read some good things about it on the internet. Ill let yall know how it performs

RYANLAWRENCE said:
Thanks for your help, yes it seems like that is the only way I'm going to be able to completely rid myself of cyano. I don't overfeed so it has to be the phosphates since I just use conditioned tap water instead of ro/di. Do you have a ro/di unit that you recommend?

I bought a five stage ro/di unit from bulk reef supply,...I forget what I paid for it but it wasn't too bad,...I think you just gotta remember to replace the filters ( avail at bulk reef supply also) periodically as your mileage will vary from the manufactures ,.....I'm sure there's a million good units out there that'll all do the trick , but that's what I've got and it seems to be doing the job.

I have used the chemiclean before awhile ago and it worked great! No change with my corals, inverts, or fish. Good luck with the anti-red stuff.

some of the cyano cures are actually an antibiotic called erythromycin. there is debate about it wiping out the good bacteria along with the cyano. that would mean the tank would need to be recycled.
chemiclean claims no erythromycin is in their product.

Yes that is what scares me to use this stuff. I understand that anti red could potentially only kill cyano because cyano are very different from other prokaryotes. But it has no ingredients listed, so it makes me wary. I havent used it yet, I might just wait until i get some chemi clean. Has anyone here used a phosban reactor? they arent very expensive and claim to removes phosphates from the water

And also my clownfish have started to eat the cyanobacteria? is this normal/healthy?
i didnt think anything ate cyno,...the phosban reactor is a good thing to invest in,..and the best part is that they're cheap.....think chemi clean and follow the directions to the letter,...good luck

Yeah it's the weirdest thing they are eating it off the sandbed. They also appear to be rolling in it? So weird. But yes ro/di water is a must I've discovered. I am thinking about a phosban reactor though

i don't think a phosban reactor is the answer. there are thousands of people who don't have phosban reactors and don't have cyano either.
if you have clowns that eat cyano, you have the only ones in existence.

Maybe I should breed these clowns and market them as natural Cyanobacteria control methods because they are definitely eating the filaments of the bacteria. They are also rolling (playing?) in the Cyanobacteria. Who knew?

I would start with regular water changes quickly, made up from at least RO water if not deionized as well. You cant make good water out of bad very effectively. Instead of adding chemicals, get the water quality under control ASAP by using good makeup water. Tap water can have a wealth of obnoxious things in it that can cause chaos in a closed system. I have also found a lack of proper light can cause cyanobacterial growth instead of more beneficial algaes.

Back
Top Bottom