Any divers out there collect their own stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are there any divers out there who find interesting things on the reef and then mail them home to themselves? It's probably not a good practice in terms of reef preservation (depending on what is taken) and i know that it actually illegal in most of the places I've been diving, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried it (or who "has a friend" who's tried it). Personally, I'd be too afraid of introducing trouble into my tank in terms of parasites or incompatible critters. Just curious.

PS: I'M NOT RECOMMENDING IT , so please no attacks for having asked the question . I'll be diving off the island of Vulcano (north of Sicily) this summer, but don't worry. Anyone out there who's ever had experience with the mail service in Italy knows better than to risk it. :)

I have brought some algea from Jamaica and some brittle stars from Florida. You just have to realize you cant carry them in the saltwater that you collected them in.

Andrej

I have brought some algea from Jamaica and some brittle stars from Florida. You just have to realize you cant carry them in the saltwater that you collected them in.

What did you do for SW, then?

Just be careful. U might want to buy some salt at the lfs. Because if you dont, it does look like certain.....restricted substances.....if you know what I mean. I only thought of that after I got there.

Andrej

ReefGuru said:

Andrej

Why cant u carry them in the saltwater from the ocean?

THe only place I ever dive in Fla is off Key West. If I see something worthwhile, maybe.... Sounds like too much work.

I don't think I'll actually do it when I go to Sicily. Critters would have to be in carry-on, and that's a HECK of a trip (although I guess shorter than from southeast Asia).

Most of the reefs in the Keys are part of the marine parks and it is illegal to take or touch anything.

OOPS. You're right. I forgot. I've never been a big fan of removing ANYTHING from a reef, not even an empty shell. I CAN, however, appreciate the temptation, now that I'm sitting here looking at my tank. (Just being honest, if not PC).

(politically correct,, not "power compact")

You ever dive Looe Key? Just a few miles north of Key West. Nice diving and definately many temptations.

You ever dive Looe Key? Just a few miles north of Key West. Nice diving and definately many temptations

No. I usually go to KW for the decadence of Duval St and the afternoons spent drinking in the pool. I only dive two days out of the week I usually spend there in the summer, because it's so incredibly hot and because I'm a pretty safe diver and I know the possible dangers in too much partying before and after diving :| .

Most memorable dive in KW was a night dive - phosphorescence like you wouldn't believe in 15 ft of water. Awesome.

Best ever dive trip: Dominica, a volcanic island. Hot bubbles and hot water come up out of the bedrock, and then there are the walls!! Crystal clear wall diving over the abyss. CHILLS!!!!!!

I'll defintiely keep Looe in mind for next trip,though. Thanks!

We actually got all our water and sand from the ocean. We also have taken some fish and rock.

If you are going to do this, I strongly recommend a QT tank. We took a big pretty wrasse from the ocean once. It ate all the vegetation in our tank with in 24 hours. All macro algae was gone! If I had QTed him, I would have figured it out a bit sooner...

One of the neat things we ended up getting from our water was the egg of a Sheeps Head. He ended up dying from chemical contamination to the tank about 8 months after he hatched.

We only live seven blocks from the beach though, so we can dive any time we want. I have never brought anything back from a vacation dive or snorkle. My husband is a Navy Deep Sea Diver. When he is out on a dive, he will bring home some cool stuff, sand dollars and such, but I am not sure how he transports them.

I'd like to request that this thread be deleted! Preferably before my other half has a chance to check it out! I just know he'll have us booked on the first flight to Cozumel (we both dive but I haven't been since we had our first bambino 5yrs ago)! Those pictures are great. Oh to dive in warm waters. The only diving around here is usually preceeded by either a LONG swim out to a shore wreck or a typically bumpy ride out on a boat that brings me to the verge of bringing up my guts. Cozumel is right up my alley!

The only diving around here is usually preceeded by either a LONG swim out to a shore wreck or a typically bumpy ride out on a boat that brings me to the verge of bringing up my guts.
I know the feeling, got tired of diving cold quarries and yucky Lake Erie. If fact, I don't even bother anymore . :)

I know the feeling, got tired of diving cold quarries

Yeah well a 6mil wetsuit is standard issue around here too, no matter how warm the summer gets. Bleh! Putting one of those on when you're already feeling a bit ... um... GREEN is extremely difficult.

Yikes, 6 mil!! Mine is hanging in the closet collecting dust. Once you dive the warm water, its tough to go back. :p

Hey midiman, if you want a real diving treat, go to Cozumel some time. Have been there 3 times in the last 2 years. INCREDIBLE diving. Here is a link to my solo trip there 2 summers ago.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! Pics are great. It's on my list, believe me!

I really miss the warm water, too. When I got my cert as a divemaster it was deep quarry for the rescue and other check-out dives. 1/4" wet with full hood and gloves. Below a second thermocline at 60ft the water was 48 degrees.

I must have been nuts.

Also on my list: Fiji, Phuket, etc. This summer I'll dive once or twice in Sicily just to check things out over there. The trip there is mostly for the food and to climb Etna, which is erupting again. Have to find a REALLY good tank sitter. Not looking forward to that detail.

Back
Top Bottom