Any tips or ideas on a Shallow Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shattrd3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I plan on building my own shallow reef aquarium, the dimensions will be L48"W24"H13". These dimensions come out to a 65 gallon tank, if I extend the width to 28" it becomes a 75 gallons. What are anyones opionons on this? Is anyone out there with a shallow tank have problems with it? Pro's and Con's maybe? Any help,tips,ideas, or leads would be appreciated.
Let's get this going

My 90g has 18" of water (as opposed to a more "standard" 22-24" depth)... i like it fine. You get good light penetration all the way to the bottom!

A LFS I frequently stop by has several big tanks that are only 12" deep ... he uses them for frag propagation/display, but has a bunch of fish and shrimp in them as well... everything seems very happy.

My frag system has this dimensions, except its 6' long. I grow SPS on the bottom. I leave a dark area in the middle to place corals for acclimation to the lighting. Great tank for corals and small fish.

I love mines. Same demensions but mines double the length. U don't get ur arms wet pass ur elbow lol. I wouls say make it high so that u don't have to bend over. Nd u can look straight down in to it. I personally like shallow tanks if u can fit them somehwere lol

This is all really great news, I was worried there was going to be some draw backs, but everything sounds great. I'm really jealous to tell you the truth haha. How is the flow in your tanks, are there dead spots? Where is your overflow placed? I want to set mine in the middle of a long side opposed to one of the short ends, if that makes any sense.

Ahh that's the only thing I dontt like about mines. They way they built the tanks my over flow is at the end on one side nd the return is o n the other side of the tank faceing towards the overflow. I'm makin the return to split 4 ways tho. Plus I have a mp10 nd another power head making random flow. Ima try to up load sum pics later when I get home so mayb u can get an idea from mines.

Where r u located? Idk if u Interested in buying one as I'm considering selling. Because I have 3.... 8x2x1ft.

Ya if you could try and post pic I'd like to check it out. I live in Las Vegas lol.

No but the guy I bought them from lives here in orlando. Ill try to upload them later when I get home.

Wow that's a nice tank! I Love it and thank you for the video! My god that tank looks so simple and so eye catching!

Back
Top Bottom