Anyone Else Have a "False Ich" Scare..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so ive been worried then relieved and then worried again and relieved about my fish getting ich and it magically disappearing the next day, maybe sand on them? idk but its freaking me out, especially since i just got my sailfan tang and hes been covered then cleared up, twice already in a weeks time, anyone else have this happen?

Actually I have a couple of time. I've read in various places that a reaction to a change in salinity can present as ich but really it's not. I've had 2 new fish present with ich like 2 days after I get them and then poof it's gone right away and no other fish are affected. I've heard it could be because stores keep their salinty low to ward off parasites then we add the fish to our tanks with higher salinty and they have this white spot reaction. I'm no expert but I've read this freaking out like you are...lol

Good luck.

Actually I have a couple of time. I've read in various places that a reaction to a change in salinity can present as ich but really it's not. I've had 2 new fish present with ich like 2 days after I get them and then poof it's gone right away and no other fish are affected. I've heard it could be because stores keep their salinty low to ward off parasites then we add the fish to our tanks with higher salinty and they have this white spot reaction. I'm no expert but I've read this freaking out like you are...lol

Good luck.

exactly, just poof, and gone, i went home for my lunch hour and its gone for now, its has him about 4-5 days now and my water quality is almost spotless maybe 5ppm on my nitrates and salinity is at 1.026 @ 78 degrees.

i must admit that ive had this happen as well. to go one step further, i thought my purple tang came down with velvet, only to watch it disappear and that was several weeks ago... so yes ive seen it

i must admit that ive had this happen as well. to go one step further, i thought my purple tang came down with velvet, only to watch it disappear and that was several weeks ago... so yes ive seen it

Dang! What is with all this Houdini illness, and how does it just disappear.. idk but since it started I now feed my fish garlic with vitamins as well plus seaweed so I guess this is a good thing? I still don't know lol

im sticking to PE mysis, emerald entree, brine shrimp, purple +green sheet algae, and New life spectrum pellets. oh and formula 1. i use selcon to boost the frozen food when fed. fish seem to be packing on the pounds lol

It could also be lympho appearing, then disappearing as the fish gets more used to his home. I've seen it before on one of my fish.

Not to play devils advocate, and I hope your fish isnt sick, but doesnt ich disappear like that anyway? I mean, it shows up on the fish as spots for only a day or two, which is the only visible stage of its lifecycle, then falls off and disappears as it reproduces......only to re-appear again on fish a few weeks later?
I have never had marine ich, so I am definitely not an expert, but my boss is dealing with it in his tank at work, and I have seen it disappear completely from the fish, only to reappear several days later, or the fish dies suddenly. Then other fish start getting spots and it starts all over.
Hopefully I am just overparanoid and your fish is fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom