Anyone ever segemented a star fish for regeneration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SALTYDAWGY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a brittle star fish that I think is really cool, but I can't help think how cool it would be to have 2 brittle stars without buying another. Knowing that they can regenerate after cutting off a limb has anyone ever done this before? How long does it take to grow back? Does a whole star grow back from one limb? My wife thinks it is inhumane, so is it a painful thing that the star can definintly feel? What did you do it with? I am kind of on the fence on this one. Part of me wants to try it just to watch it happen and the other half thinks it is cruel and does not want to hurt Charlie (I named him). :cry:

Here is a useful QA chart for you.
especially true for your question.
What do I do if:
1. My wife told me something I feel is incorrect
Answer: see #5
2. I want something my wife said I can't have.
3. My wife said something the rest of the world and I know is incorrect.
4. I want to live long enough to see tomorrow.
5. My wife is correct

IMO the star wont feel any pain for they have brains? I presume there like snails they just do what there programed by w.e you worship, to do its job day in and day out.

It wouldn't work anyway, it is the central disk that regenerates a new limb, not a limb that regenerates a new central disk. So you would just have a dead limb and a starfish with a missing limb in the hopes that it would grow back.

Kimberly

what about the fisherman story where they cut up the starfish because they were eating their bait and then there were tons of starfish>?

I looked it up and it seemed that a star could regenerate from a single limb. Still, is there anyone who has done this before???

A brittle star can regenerate from a single limb IF at least 1/5 of the central disk is attached.

http://www.starfish.ch/reef/echinoderms.html

"As the name suggests, the arms of the brittle stars are rather liable to break. This is actually an escape mechanism. Those arms regenerate quickly and an entire new organism can regenerate, *if* the broken arm is attached to a seizable portion of the disk. Brittle stars can reproduce asexually by self-division. Brittle stars are the most active and fastest moving echinoderms."

I think it would be a waste of not only your effort, but a risk to a beautiful creature. And I don't think that you would get what you want. I second RLG, buy a second one if you want two.

Kimberly

I agree with Kimberly. Also, I'm of the opinion that starfish CAN feel pain...it may not be the same sensation we call pain, but creatures have 'pain' responses to help them avoid deadly situations.

I suspect when you amputate the arm, scavengers in the tank would try to eat it, and possibly the main starfish too, before they regenerate. could also get infected and both pieces simply die.

Or you can just wait, and it may reproduce on it's own. Or, buy 15lbs of LR from liverocks.com and I guarantee you'll get a couple more brittles.

Back
Top Bottom