Anyone have a pufferfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just trying to get some info on our new addition. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Well We got a 55 gallon for 30 bucks plus the stand so thats what he is going in. The sign said 20 inches lol. Thanks for the info though.

Ok they told us not to feed him ONLY goldfish cause it will shorten his life span and make a hole in his head.... something about the protien in goldfish. Anyway back to the point, we bought some squid cubes and he like gets them in his mouth tears them up and spits them out like "what is this crap I want goldfish" lol. Any suggestions? I am going to go buy some dead fish tomorrow and see if he will eat that. Also is it safe to buy say those little shrimp from the grocery store to feed him? Or anything else? Thanks in advance.

The puffer probabley isn't spitting out the squid because it doesn't like them. rather the portion sizes fed are too large. Cut the squid into smaller pieces and feed the puffer a little at a time. Vary the food types as well, in shell shrimp, clam meat, scallop and mussels. Be sure not to feed live/fresh though. Freeze anything you purchase for a few weeks to kill any parasite possibilities. Feed animals in the shell as well to help keep the teeth filed down so they do not overgrow the mouth.

RE: goldfish, it's not that you should feed them only goldfish, it's really that you should never feed them goldfish. It will lead to a host of internal ailments and poor health.

Cheers
Steve

That sucks, Thats one of the biggest reasons I got it cause it eats goldfish lol.

Well, put it this way, if the fish you are feeding the puffer doesn't exist in its natural environment, it's probably not a good idea to introduce them to the puffer.

55G is tiny for the puffer. You'll see. That cute little puffer will become a gargantuan puffer in a matter of months. By that time, you'll probably be too attached to donate it (in case you have no time or what not to upgrade to 180G). I am just speaking out of experience, by the way. But I did have to donate the cute one to the LFS. I still see it in the LFS whenever I visit which is almost every week.

Hope you have excellent filtration because eventually they will poop amazingly sized feces all over your tank.

When you said the biggest reason you got the puffer is because it eats gold fish, I hope you are kidding. There must be a bigger, more important reason than that.

Good luck.

It looks cool. lol anyway, What filter do you suggest? I was thinking a Penguin 400 Biowheel. Would that be a good choice or no? How about protien skimmers? What ones the best one for under $50.

Pufferowners said:
What filter do you suggest? I was thinking a Penguin 400 Biowheel. Would that be a good choice or no?
Any mechanical filtration will help filter organics but they must be cleaned quite regularly or they will only add to the problem.

How about protien skimmers? What ones the best one for under $50.
No such thing. For a tank that size with a heavy bioload, I would go with no less than an Aqua C Remora Pro and a MAG350 pump. Unless of course you have a sump, then I would use either an ASM or Euroreef.

Cheers
Steve

How much do those run? I dont even know really what a sump is or how to set it up. Is it easier?

With skimmers, you get what you pay for. Any financial "short cut" on your skimmer will and you up in a situation where your skimmer will cut you short of ideal.

Well I got everything set up in my 50 gallon all I need is the skimmer, the LR and the light. I built a cover for it out of plexglass, I dont know how good it will work but its something. I will make a post about it when I am done. So far I have the tank set up with a Biowheel 350, and a 300watt all glass aquarium heater, Oh and a digital thermomoter. For my substrate I got Bio-Active live Aragonite reef sand. It suposidly already has the cycle done and the bacteria in it. But Once I put the LR in and get some byrospyra (sp) The LFS that I found said that with that stuff the cycle process should be about 2 weeks. I am happy about that.

Careful of the biowheel. I've heard of some stories about that. I think you end up washing that every week or something. Maybe not every week, but, you will have to watch out for it most likely.

Good luck and definitely welcome to the hobby!

It says on the directions do not ever clean the biowheels they should be replaced every couple months or so but discoloration and basicly it says they are supost to be dirty... Thats just what it says right on them. Now the filter on them it says to change every 2-3 weeks, but not the wheel itself.

The water hits the bio-wheel after it passes through the filter in the 350. You should never have to clean or replace your bio-wheel at any time if you keep up maintenance on your canister filter. I haven’t touched mine in over 8 years and it’s worked perfectly without building up any gunk. If you do get excessive gunk built up to the point that it doesn’t spin properly then you can take it off and shake it back and forth in the bucket of SW after you do a pwc. Never rinse it in FW or tap water. Also don’t let the canister filter become too clogged to the point where it doesn’t put out enough water to turn the wheel since the bacteria can dry out in less than a day.

If you replace it “every couple of months” then you will start a new cycle each time because you basically removed your bio-filtration. I would never replace a bio-wheel unless you have enough lr to support your bio-filtration or had it on a QT and used copper-based medicine.

Ok, I dont have a canister filter though. I am just using the biowheel...

I thought it was hooked up to the Magnum 350 Pro. I didn’t realize Marineland made a BIO-Wheel 350 hang on back unit. The water still goes through a filter before hitting the wheel so cleaning it should be minimal regardless.

Sorry for the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom