Anyone mix substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poolrad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have CC down currently, about 2 inches thick. Thinking about throwing 2 inches of sand over it (since it would be hell to remove the CC).

Mixing is not the best idea. Finer particles will always migrate downwards and the larger pieces will eventually surface. Removing the CC in favor of the sand would be a more beneficial step. Placing the CC in unused nylon stocking balls and placing them back in the tank will seed the new sand. You can also seed the sand seperately (with a ball of CC) in a shallow bin of SW with a powerhead for a few weeks first.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=27

Cheers
Steve

you asked steve gave you the best possible advice. Maybe next time you will research before you throw something into your tank.

What is with that attitude in your response? I've had this tank running for 7 years now and was just considering a change of substrate. Maybe next time you will move on instead of posting up worthless dribble...

i mixed substrate types in my new tank............ 2 bags of extra fine pink agralive, 1 bag of black agralive, and 1 bag of semifine pink agralive. So I guess that wouldn't really using differnent types of substrate though would it........ the bigger particles do work there way up though..... mine have already started to do it in 2 weeks.

No need to argue guys..! All here to help..!

Poolrad.. i have CC and have no problems with it.. It has alot of life in it now due to my LR and I seem to have nothing but success.. Any reason why u want to go sand? Is it just for depth in the bed or did u want to try something different?

I have 40lb CC and 40lb LS. CC is obviously on top. Works well enough for me and the white sand enhances the color of the tank.

What was the purpose of adding the sand? CC collecting too much buildup? Dont like the way CC looks? If you've had it for 7 years it can't be all that bad. If you're just looking to increase the depth of your sand bed then heck -- dump in sand on top of things -- it looks good to me ;)

The User Agreement states that ALL members will be respectful of other members when posting.
Please keep all replies, even when in disagreement, respectful and constructive, or the thread may be locked.

Thank you.

I am very new at this so I put in sand and CC. I mixed it all around and I like it. I haven't seen any problems as far as water chemistry. My sand does get kinda gross looking but I have No cleanup crew at all. I could post a pic if you want to see how it looks. :D

Yeah.. I need a cleanup crew myself.

Detritus is nasty and its no fun mixing around the substrate occassionally.

StripesTheEel said:
What is the ideal cleanup crew..reef safe that is?
A good mixture and amount of snail species... Some specializing in the substrate with others that prefer hard surfaces. Many seemingly having preferences for glass or rock it's best to choose a variety of a few species. Above all the best means of control is to stock appropriately to adult size vs tank capacity.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom