Anyone successfully keep a Moorish Idol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am very interested in the Moorish Idol. My LFS said they rarely get them but if I am interested they'll try. I am worried that it won't survive based on what I read. Anyone here have one that's doing well? At Liveaquaria they're described as a schooling fish, so is it better to buy them like the chromis in a group?

cheers

Wael

Moorish+Idol.jpg

detailed_image.cfm

ye i have read things aswell about the moorish idol :/ it a beautiful fish..it cost around £ 70 from aqauticstoyourdoor.co.uk but im not gonna risk it.

I wouldn't try it. The only ones I have heard of lasting long at all were the ones that the owner of New Life Spectrum kept on his food exclusively. Even then I think it is too risky, no point raising demand for fish with a 99.99% failure rate in captivity. They do not deserve that.

Everything I've ever read says that they will most certainly die in your tank. They are extremely difficult to keep and are for experts only. If you want a fish that looks similar with a much better record or being kept successfully look into the heniochus butterfly fish.

Lol. Very funny. You can get a banner fish instead look similar and much better chance at surviving. Just make sure you get the right one, there are 2 types I believe

There are 10 valid species of Heniochus (Bannerfish/Pennantfish) and all possible corralivores.

Back
Top Bottom