Apex Neptune VS. Reefkeeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_mango

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so i was at 2 lfs the other day and each one sold one or the other systems and each store said the one they sold was better then the other any one have these systems and can tell me pros and cons i am really needing to get one asap but want to make sure i find the right one for me...... any insight would be great :confused:

I went with the reefkeeper. :-D i compared the two for months and for me the RKE was the best choice. It is perfectly expandable for me in every way and it is priced much better than the apex. It also seems the add ons for the apex are priced more than the RKE as well. I just ordered an extra 4 strip socket and an ATO for mine and it was about $100 for both. The rke also comes with a ph and temperature probe in the startup kit while the apex I believe only has the temperature probe.

if you check aquacave or marine depot you can also read the owners manuals and see which one is easier to setup. the RKE using my netbook, took less than an hour to setup. real easy stuff.

I went with the apex jr. Works great and very easy to setup. Monitoring my tank from my iPhone as I type this. Never looked at reefkeeper. Very happy with apex.

OK thank you.... also is there anything that you wish was different with either of the systems

I was considering either one but went with the Apex Lite.

I've had it less than a month so no complaints or wishing things were different yet.

rc_kaybee19_sig.png

Completely happy with my apex jr. No complaints. Only controlling lights, pumps, heater and cooling fans. I only have the 4 ports. I will be getting the 8 bar addition when time calls for it.

From what I have seen it just appears to be a personal thing. both pretty much do what the other does. :) I really liked the screen on the apex but it was more money so I went with the RKE. I'm more budget minded I guess plus i don't see the need to be able to control my tank via the internet. LOL

Not sure how you program the apex either, I know the RKE plugs into my computer and you program it like that, very very easy. It's also pretty easy to navigate the home screen without the computer to program it.

The ONLY thing so far that has me confused with the RKE is the ATO float switch. It looks like I might have to connect wires rather than just plug into the port. That I;m not too happy about. But I havent really messed with it yet so I dont know how hard or easy it will be. :)

I think the apex away from home feature is awesome. I know I go to work for 2 days at a time and it sure would be nice to check out my parameters. Especially in the summer with the temperature fluxuatons, it has me sold, don't have one yet but I was checking them out last week. Not to mention I can mess with ppl at my house when I'm gone to work.. Lol

Sqasnatch said:
I think the apex away from home feature is awesome. I know I go to work for 2 days at a time and it sure would be nice to check out my parameters. Especially in the summer with the temperature fluxuatons, it has me sold, don't have one yet but I was checking them out last week. Not to mention I can mess with ppl at my house when I'm gone to work.. Lol

U can do the same with RK

carey said:
From what I have seen it just appears to be a personal thing. both pretty much do what the other does. :) I really liked the screen on the apex but it was more money so I went with the RKE. I'm more budget minded I guess plus i don't see the need to be able to control my tank via the internet. LOL

Not sure how you program the apex either, I know the RKE plugs into my computer and you program it like that, very very easy. It's also pretty easy to navigate the home screen without the computer to program it.

The ONLY thing so far that has me confused with the RKE is the ATO float switch. It looks like I might have to connect wires rather than just plug into the port. That I;m not too happy about. But I havent really messed with it yet so I dont know how hard or easy it will be. :)

There r two wires u connect but u do just plug in. I did it so I know u can hahs. It's pretty easy

I bought the apex jr without the screen think it was like $150. I just control it from my computer, iPad, iPhone, or any Internet or wifi device to look at my parameters. If you get one any need any help just let me know.

I just returned the unopened RKL to Marine Depot and I'm waiting for the Apex Jr to come in. The built in web server made the difference for me. The set up is extremely easy (like the RK units you plug it into your computer). Controlling it from the iPhone or any web browser, and getting alerts via text and email should anything go out of bounds were the final points for me.

I don't need light control as that is built in to my LEDs. I already have the JBJ ATO and a heater controller, though I may put one heater on the Apex.

pH monitoring? Who cares? It varies by the time of day and as long as Alk, Ca and Mg are in balance my pH will be in balance. OK, I actually do own a Pinpoint pH monitor too :)

For me it's the pump control, wave action and reporting/alerting at work that I want the unit for. I may add a flood detector and some other items later. If only there was a good, inexpensive Alk and Ca monitor available...

Well I am a novice but after considering the Apex and RKL I went with the RKL. I am only controlling one tank and it will be enoeph I believe once I add another PC4 module. I have looked at the network module but for now I am not interested in tracking my tank while I am at work. I put a grounded expansion plug on one channel and it is controlling both my skimmer pumps. I have a recirculating skimmer so 2 pumps on one channel works well. I also am controlling my heater, return pump, and fuge light as the fuge light is homemade and I like the idea of if a short happens it will kill power to it. When I add the PC4 I will controll my wave pumps which are on a stand alone controller now. My LED system has its own 3 channel controller so they won't be on it. Set up is reasonably easy although documentation that comes with the unit is lacking and you must download the full manual online.

I've seen people recommend using the salinity meter, along with two reservoirs. One with RO/DI water for top off, one with a sw mix, a little higher than normal. If the salinity were to change (measuring wrong with a water change, etc), the controller would automatically pull sw in if it's too low, ro/di in if it's too high... no idea if that actually works or not. Not sure if that's something the RKL can do, just something I saw on an apex thread.

Well so far I think I am going to get the apex only because I do travel a lot so with the text alerts and online monitoring I think it will be the best bet to have that so if something goes haywire I can call someone to check on it

I was thinking about getting the apex just so I could have online veiwing & alerts. Even though I know it's worth the money I'm still shell shocked @ the price.

have you looked into the reef angel system, it can do everythign all the other systems can but its cheaper, what i like about it is they give you sample codes for it that do a basic job but with a little research you can learn it and modify things to your liking, which is a big plus to me as i was goign to buy the chip set that they use and build my own aqua controller

http://www.reefangel.com/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom