API Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I seem to come across these negative testimonials about the API test kits. Mine seems to be fairly accurate, I've taken samples to the lfs. Thoughts and opinions please...?

:thanks:

I seem to come across these negative testimonials about the API test kits. Mine seems to be fairly accurate, I've taken samples to the lfs. Thoughts and opinions please...?

:thanks:

Not sure where you're looking but API test kits are pretty popular. It's the nitrAte kit that's less to be desired.

I would guess convict means that if any of the tests in the API are inaccurate, the nitrate test might be questionable.

That's exactly what I mean. Thank you for helping with that. Yes the nitrAte kit is notorious for being a HUGE pain!!

You gotta shake, rattle, roll, and throw and then to the hokey pokey with it.

Ok, I got it now..! Yeah I've noticed that when I do the test I always show 0 but when I go to the lfs he shows 0.15 .10. Perhaps lower than what API is testing for...?

Ok, I got it now..! Yeah I've noticed that when I do the test I always show 0 but when I go to the lfs he shows 0.15 .10. Perhaps lower than what API is testing for...?

Mine is the opposite. It always reads through the roof. Blood red and the LFS reads 10-20. I bought a new one and it reads 10-20 also. Those kits IMO are horrible. I even called company a few times on it.

I have both API kits. On my old sumpless tank I had had trAte problems. But the nitrate test from the basic kit would read levels at about 1/2 of the reef kit. Yet both were identical nitrate tests from API, just with different exp dates.
My phosphate test always shows some phosphates sometimes up to .25. My Hanna checker always reads 0 to 0.04 ppm. Soon my Alk and Calc tests will need to be replaced and I am willing to bet a better kit will show different levels.
Use them for what they are; inexpensive tests that provide an IDEA where your levels are.

LFS use API because they are cheap, you are far better off with kits from Salifert, but you pay as much for 1 of theirs as you do for 3-4 API kits. You get what you pay for in the test market.

Let me just say that API test kits are fine and do work. My only complaint was the nitrAte kit. Although yes there are better kits out there, I believe for your basic freshwater tank the API freshwater test kit will do just fine...

Again just my opinion after only a few years in the hobby.

I will point out I did buy the Salifert nitrAte kit, then after that I bought the Red Sea one. When they were done I went back to API.

Let me just say that API test kits are fine and do work. My only complaint was the nitrAte kit. Although yes there are better kits out there, I believe for your basic freshwater tank the API freshwater test kit will do just fine...

Again just my opinion after only a few years in the hobby.

I will point out I did buy the Salifert nitrAte kit, then after that I bought the Red Sea one. When they were done I went back to API.

I really can't complain too much, I've got all 3 and my tanks are doing great, water is clear, inhabitants are happy and seem to be fine. I've got a ways to go before I run out, but I'll be reluctant to change if I don't have any large problems between now and then.

The nitrAte is by far the most (in)famous of their kits...a PITA to administer, and even worse to read. I don't want to plunk down the $$ on RedSea or Salifert only for them to turn out to be as difficult to perform and/or read as the API. I'm sticking with the devil I know.

Convict2161, why did you go back to the API kits? Did you see no added benefit, ease of use, etc with the other 2 brands?

The nitrAte is by far the most (in)famous of their kits...a PITA to administer, and even worse to read. I don't want to plunk down the $$ on RedSea or Salifert only for them to turn out to be as difficult to perform and/or read as the API. I'm sticking with the devil I know.

Convict2161, why did you go back to the API kits? Did you see no added benefit, ease of use, etc with the other 2 brands?

Lazy lol. Easier to use, reduced time when my son is bouncing off the walls lol.

Back
Top Bottom