aptasia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I might have some aptasia in my tank. I can't really tell as they are very small. I have never had any before and they seem to be on just one small rock. There is also a healthy mushroom on this rock. Would it be better to just sacrifice this rock or is there a good method to get rid of these. I have read about peppermint shrimp but have heard they aren't always hungry enough to eat these. Is this true or are peppermint shrimp the best way? TIA

Aiptasia is bad, and you should get rid of it before it spreads. You can kill it by filling a syringe with Kalkwasser and water, then injuect the Aiptasia one at a time.

Most Peppermint Shrimp with eat it, though some will leave it alone. The Shrimp are usally considered good by most fishkeepers. If you want the Shrimp anyway, they can be a good addition to the tank, and will likely eat the Aiptasia as well.

Grimlock3000, what is a double post (aside from an offensive system used in water polo)?

I had terrible aptasia problems, but bought a small raccoon butterflyfish, and it ate every one within two days of arriving home. In fact, it enjoyed eating these things so much, I am trying to grow some for it in a small tank right now!

The raccoon now eats flake food and mysis shrimp, but still hunts for food on the live rock reef in my 55. I am sure it will be very happy when I add some nice aptasia for it in a few weeks!

Edmonton Eskimo said:
you have a butterfly in your reef tank! You got bigger b#lls than I do.

Seconded!

Of course, I'm a girl, so I'm not sure how much that's worth..

But still! Your inverts are OK?

I guess I am lucky. My Raccoon butterflyfish was very healthy when I got it, and was eating flake food at the LFS. It is a big pig, and eats everything that I have tried to feed it, except nori. Not even my clowns would touch that stuff.

The only inverts I have are hermit crabs, snails, and a cleaner shrimp. You can't have corals in Hawaii. I just have a live rock reef. My raccoon is only about 2.5 inches long.

Thank you for the double post explaination. In water polo, it is when you send two guys inside to the front of the goal, instead of just one.

Back
Top Bottom