aptasia again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murcos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know some of you were really helpful about a post I wrote about something like this earlier. But I needed a bit more info on what to do here. I am getting my new tank and rock etc tomorrow, and want to be prepared.

I am trying to upgrade my tank right now, and I found someone on craigslist that had one set up for sale. I was planning on taking his fish (they are moving and cannot take them) and selling most. I am keeping his tank and accessories, and his sand and live rock. But here is a problem. He has a flourish of aptasia all over. Probably 30 of them.

I was told that most of what I do will leave me with possibly getting aptasia in my main tank. What if I do this....put all my water, fish, coral etc i (and my own sand and rock) in the new 55 g tank. Then, in the old 30 put only his aptasia-infested rock. Could I treat the rock only tank with something like Joe's Juice that way? Maybe buy some pep shrimp to put in there too? THen, as it goes away, transfer that rock to my main tank again?

I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks! Mary

Peppermint shrimp will do the trick as well as Joe Juice. You are right

Do I need to inject each one, that could take forever? Or can I douse the whole tank?

Joes Juice from what I understand needs to be injected to each one...sorry.
If it were me, I would get some peppermint shrimp as I had the same thing going on in my tank and they have knocked them way down. Get the Juice and hit the big ones..

Peppermint shrimp will do the trick
This is hit and miss. Depends on the shrimp. (my shrimp did eat them) I used a turkey baster to squirt them with hot water in the tank. You can get several with each baster refill. It should not take long. Just put the baster right at them and squirt. I got the water boiling and moved it beside the tank. Rolled up my sleeves and went at it. They will "melt" instantly. :twisted:

Will using the hot water in the tank kill everything else living on the rock too?

murcos said:
Will using the hot water in the tank kill everything else living on the rock too?

I think he meant to fill the turkey baster with hot water, and then just point it on the aiptasia on the LR in that you're only hitting a circumference of about the size of a dime (so you wouldn't really hit anything else on the LR).

As boardsurfer said....You should be able to kill them all using less than a quart of water. You can even use tank water so it will not effect the salinity. No it will not harm your LR except for the small spot where the aiptasia was.

I've used hot water to get rid of my aiptasia, but also added peppermint shrimp...I've noticed the peppermint shrimp tag-teaming them

Back
Top Bottom