Aptasia on coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have aptasia on a trumpet coral and ordinarily I would use JJ but I'm afraid to put it so close to a coral I don't want to hurt. What should I do to get rid of the pest?

I had a similar situation happen and what I did was put direct current on the coral and the aptasia moved off the coral and I was able to get him with JJ.....

I agree with Lindsay`s question as it will help us to know what to do. Is it right up on the coral or is there a little space. If so you can aim the current at the coral ant use a syringe and treat with JJ or hot water.

Ziggy's idea seems like it would work. JJ works wonders when it comes to aiptasia.

Ziggy953 said:
I had a similar situation happen and what I did was put direct current on the coral and the aptasia moved off the coral and I was able to get him with JJ.....

Dumb question... so aptasia will move like other anenomes? Obviously it will from Ziggy's response, but I just want to make sure I read that right.

The pest was down on the branch - away from the fleshy part of the coral. He was not very big so I was able to limit the amount of JJ needed and he withered away without incedent. Thanks fo the tips!

Peppermint shrimp are also a possibility for aptasia control. My peppermint shrimp scarfed it down like it was a porterhouse.

On the other hand, my two peps only ate one of mine.....

Kurt_Nelson said:
Ziggy953 said:

Dumb question... so aptasia will move like other anenomes? Obviously it will from Ziggy's response, but I just want to make sure I read that right.

They can definitley move. They are just like any other anemone, just a pest one. :)

I've always had peps in my tanks and never had aptasia. I'm guessing/hoping they ate'm long before they grew bigger and I was able to see'm. i hear they don't eat aptasia after it gets larger.

Back
Top Bottom